[comp.os.msdos.programmer] swap2disk or spawn that swaps

lfk@athena.mit.edu (Lee F Kolakowski) (07/29/90)

Hello,

	I have heard of several routines that you place in C code just
before you shell or spawn child processes. I am looking for one that
will work with either MSC version 6.0 or TCC 2.0. I want to add the
code to Dennis Vadura's Dmake which was just posted to comp.sources.misc.

	This make does a great number of things that ndmake and the
make that comes with MSC 6.0 does not do (Transitive clousure, RCS
support, completely portable code that runs on unix systems, etc).

	The problem is that the executable is about 53 Kbytes. This is
just a little too big for use with the MKS toolkit which leaves me
with about 460Kb free on top of the make.exe. Dennis is aware of the
problem and I thought I would ask here, if there is code to swap to
disk, EMS, or better XMS before a spawn or shell?

Thanks in advance.

--

Frank Kolakowski

|lfk@athena.mit.edu                     ||      Lee F. Kolakowski    |
|lfk@eastman2.mit.edu                   ||	M.I.T.		     |
|kolakowski@wccf.mit.edu                ||	Dept of Chemistry    |
|lfk@mbio.med.upenn.edu		        ||	Room 18-506	     |
|lfk@hx.lcs.mit.edu                     ||	77 Massachusetts Ave.|
|AT&T:  1-617-253-1866                  ||	Cambridge, MA 02139  |
|                         #include <woes.h>         		     |
|		           One-Liner Here!                           |

mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) (07/30/90)

In article <1990Jul28.145142.20406@athena.mit.edu> lfk@athena.mit.edu (Lee F Kolakowski) writes:

>Hello,
>
>	I have heard of several routines that you place in C code just
>before you shell or spawn child processes. I am looking for one that
>will work with either MSC version 6.0 or TCC 2.0. I want to add the
>code to Dennis Vadura's Dmake which was just posted to comp.sources.misc.

Such things do exist.  I have them for TC 2.0.. you can probably find them
on SIMTEL20.. perhaps one of the following would do:

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.SYSUTL>SWAP100.ZIP   B   38967  900419  Routines to allow swap of app to disk or ems
Directory PD1:<MSDOS.SYSUTL>SWAP.ARC      B   17452  890325  Swap main and expanded memory when SHELL'ed

There used to be a lot more of this stuff in MSDOS.SWAP, but that directory
appears to have been pared down recently.  If neither of these are what you
want, feel free to email me for the stuff I got from compu$erve.
--
| ..uunet!bnrgate!bmerh614!mlord | Climb Free Or Die (NH) |