[comp.os.msdos.programmer] BASIC is not the problem!

lcrew@andromeda.rutgers.edu.rutgers.edu (Louie Crew) (08/01/90)

>If you are writing programs
>for commercial sale you shouldn't be using BASIC.  If not you still shouldn't
>be using BASIC for anything but quick and dirty stuff.  If you feel you must
>use BASIC then you shouldn't be protecting them but rather let others see the
>actual code.
>D'Arcy J.M. Cain (darcy@druid)     |

I continue to make several thousand dollars a year on shareware programs
that I have written in BASIC, and I laugh at this kind of elitism all the
way to the bank.  I am an English professor and I use spaghetti code to write
programs more complicated and more useful than those of most computer science
graduates who pontificate these linguistic prejudices.

I once won "Best Article of the Year" from the Hong Kong Computer Society (the
professional group of people who run the computers in the world's third largest
banking center and at one of the world's most complex airports) in recognition
for an article that I wrote about programming in a language simpler yet than
even BASIC, namely in WordStar 3.3's MailMerge, which I enslaved to teach me
Cantonese.

Good programs derive from imagination far more than from mindless mastery
of codes.  My style-checker is extremely popular with professional
journalists not because I can get the lightning speed of some of the
competition, but because my program monitors what good writers really
care enough about monitoring.  My program that manages writers' circulation
of manuscripts is used by several hundred writers, at least two of them
among the most published poets of our time.  I have even turned over the
code to a computer science class or two just so they could laugh at it,
and still eat humble pie, cause honey, they would have to have as many
hundreds of publications as I have (MUSES tells me today that it is at
764) before they would begin to imagine all the bells and whistles that writers
welcome in a good program.

Of course I would like to have a version of my program in assembler or
some other more powerful code, but for now I settle for the ever newer and
faster chips that keep it trucking and keep those who use my program from
the drudgery that used to plague their circulation and bookkeeping.

I'm also delighted when I snoop at many other *.EXE programs and discover that
others with programs that do good things have used BASIC source code.

Yes, if I were starting afresh, I would use C or Pascal, but I am not
starting afresh, and I dare some "experts" to catch up.

I had the same problem in learning Cantonese.  When I had a vocabulary of
10 words I was into the streets talking to real people and learning
rapidly and naturally.  Some of my colleagues who were afraid to say
Neehow (hello) until no one had laughed at them, studied the language for
three years before they gave up and still sit in their gweilo (white ghost)
apartments talking English only.

The ideal would be to have programmers and users collaborate, but I find
most programmers much too arrogant to consider that, and most users
too illiterate about binary approaches to be able to identify what
can actually be put into on/off logic.

At Chinese University several of my colleagues in computer science
used to send their senior students to play by me ideas for their senior
projects.  Of course I  advocated  innovative projects in the humanities, but
I could well see why most opted for yet on more office management program, or
a new file management program:  they were safer and not subject to the caprice
of "humanists" so ill educated as to tell a machine, merely: "Tell me whether
that sentence is right or wrong."

  =====             Louie Crew:  lcrew@andromeda.rutgers.edu              ====
  =====  CompuServe No. 73517,147.  FAX 201-648-5700  Attn. Conklin #156  ====
  =====      Rutgers/Newark, NJ 07102 201-485-4503 h; 201-648-5434 o      ====
  =====                               or                                  ====
  =====                    Box 30, Newark, NJ 07101                       ====

robert@ireq.hydro.qc.ca (R.Meunier 8516) (08/01/90)

In article <Jul.31.23.14.44.1990.19677@galaxy.rutgers.edu> lcrew@andromeda.rutgers.edu.UUCP (Louie Crew) writes:
>>If you are writing programs
>>for commercial sale you shouldn't be using BASIC.  If not you still shouldn't
>>be using BASIC for anything but quick and dirty stuff.  If you feel you must
>>use BASIC then you shouldn't be protecting them but rather let others see the
>>actual code.
>>D'Arcy J.M. Cain (darcy@druid)     |
>
>I continue to make several thousand dollars a year on shareware programs
>that I have written in BASIC, and I laugh at this kind of elitism all the
>way to the bank.  I am an English professor and I use spaghetti code to write
                                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>programs more complicated and more useful than those of most computer science
>graduates who pontificate these linguistic prejudices.

	With new BASIC compiler like MicroSoft PDS, you can program really
big program without spaghetti code. With Version 7.0, exe generated are as
small as could be a C program. I think the choice of a language depand of
the kink of application you want to write. Accounting for one is easylly
done in BASIC because of string manipulation, text editor should be in C or
Pascal and operating system in C. Assembler should never be use (except for
special program like device driver) because it is to hard to maintain
Robert Meunier                     Institut de Recherche d'Hydro-Quebec
Ingenieur                          1800 Montee Ste-Julie, Varennes
Internet: robert@ireq.hydro.qc.ca  Qc, Canada, J3X 1S1