[comp.os.msdos.programmer] make with two key features

dquah@athena.mit.edu (Danny Quah) (08/04/90)

[I haven't been able to keep up with the volume both here and in i386,
so sorry if this has just been discussed...]

	With all the nifty make's floating by, have there been any
that will do both an "include" and automatic construction of a
response file to feed to the linker?  I think early versions of ndmake
had the second but not the first, while another old make had the first
but not the second (you get the idea...).  I've gotten accustomed to
using "include" on SUNos and with gnu make on unix (tm) systems, but
neither (of course) had difficulties with handling long command lines
unlike on messy-dos.

	I can ftp from most anywhere but it'd be wasteful of resources
until someone can tell me for sure that some PD make has those two key
qualities.

	Thanks in advance. (If there's interest and I get lots of
email, I'm happy to summarize.)
--
--Danny (dquah@athena.mit.edu, dquah@dolphin.mit.edu)
Dept. of Economics MIT, E52-274b, Cambridge MA 02139

roy@cs.umn.edu (Roy M. Silvernail) (08/05/90)

dquah@athena.mit.edu (Danny Quah) writes:

> 	With all the nifty make's floating by, have there been any
> that will do both an "include" and automatic construction of a
> response file to feed to the linker?

Not sure what an "include" is, specifically... but dmake does the
response files, and since it's distributed in source, you could have a
go at writing "include" into it. dmake was posted to the net recently,
in alt.sources (I think).

--
    Roy M. Silvernail   | #include <stdio.h>                 | Does virtual
    now available at:   | main(){                            | reality need

zmls04@trc.amoco.com (Martin L. Smith) (08/06/90)

In article <364eN1w162w@cybrspc> cybrspc!roy@cs.umn.edu (Roy M. Silvernail) writes:

   dquah@athena.mit.edu (Danny Quah) writes:

   > 	With all the nifty make's floating by, have there been any
   > that will do both an "include" and automatic construction of a
   > response file to feed to the linker?

   Not sure what an "include" is, specifically... but dmake does the
   response files, and since it's distributed in source, you could have a
   go at writing "include" into it. dmake was posted to the net recently,
   in alt.sources (I think).

I've been using dmake on an AT clone for a couple of days.  The source
distribution supports both MSC and TC; the configuration is a little
unusual but it comes up very easily.

Dmake supports both included files and response file generation and
much more.  It is a <<very>> nice, extended make.  The most recent
distribution does not have a swapping-spawn, that is dmake remains
resident while it runs commands, but I'm sure that will change soon.
Dmake is distributed under the terms of the Gnu Public License.

I think dmake will turn out to be a major utility, especially on MSDOS
where the environment imposes such bizarre requirements on make
programs.  I'd like to thank Dennis Vadura, whom I believe is dmake's
principal author.
--

   Martin L. Smith             Amoco Research Center
                               P.O. Box 3385

NU013809@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Greg Wettstein) (08/14/90)

A version of GNU Make which has been ported to MS-DOS is currently being
shipped to comp.binaries.ibm.pc.  Mr. Davidsen has a fairly formidable
queue so I would imagine that it should shw up sometime in early September.

In its MS-DOS incarnation GNU Make knows about the Microsoft linker and
how to generate automatic response files for command lines longer than
127 characters.  All the features of GNU Make are preserved in the MS-DOS
environment so the inclusion of include files are supported.  I also taught
GNU Make how to read the INCLUDE environment variable so it will search
whatever directories the user specifies to find its include file.

Ian Stewartson was also kind enough to snip out the swapping code which
his group developed and sent it to me.  This has been included in the MS-DOS
port so that only about a 3-4K kernel is left when GNU Make runs the commands
associated with a target.

                             As always,
                             Dr. G.W. Wettstein
                             Roger Maris Cancer Center Computing Facility

                             UUCP: uunet!plains!wind!greg
                             INTERNET: greg%wind.uucp@plains.nodak.edu
                             Phone: 701-234-2833

`The truest mark of a man's wisdom is his ability to listen to other
 men expound their wisdom.'