[comp.os.msdos.programmer] How does one identify a Zenith?

TOMIII@MTUS5.BITNET (Thomas Dwyer III) (08/11/90)

Is there a somewhat foolproof method to determine if a machine is a
Zenith vs. any other clone?

Thanks,
Thomas Dwyer III                            TOMIII   @ MTUS5.BITNET
Network Programmer                          DWYERIII @ MTUS5.BITNET
Computing Technology Services
Michigan Technological University

nol2321@dsacg2.dsac.dla.mil (Jim Dunn) (08/14/90)

> Subject: How does one identify a Zenith?

> Is there a somewhat foolproof method to determine if a machine is a
> Zenith vs. any other clone?

Well, how about turning it on, and if it smokes, blows a fuse, or says
Parity Error at XXXX Address...

... THEN IT'S A ZENITH!!!

:)

Sorry, but I couldn't resist!

:)

Also, you should be a little more detailed.  Do you mean from a
particular program language?  Which one?  etc...

Jim, jdunn@dsac.dla.mil

labach@herald.usask.ca (Terry Labach) (08/15/90)

In article <90222.150743TOMIII@MTUS5.BITNET> TOMIII@MTUS5.BITNET (Thomas Dwyer III) writes:
>Is there a somewhat foolproof method to determine if a machine is a
>Zenith vs. any other clone?

Well, it may not be foolproof, but on my home and work Zeniths, there
is a BIOS signature.  If you go into DEBUG (or the Zenith built-in
debugger) and enter

df800:0

you will get a dump of part of the BIOS.  On this machine, the dump
begins

07/17/84 (C)ZDS
CORP

indicating a Zenith Data Systems machine.  You could search for such a
signature in your program.

"If you vote Republican, does that make you  || Terry Labach, UofS DCS UST
an accomplice to their crimes?"              || BITNET:labach@sask
                       -Bongo, "Life is Hell"|| Internet:labach@sask.usask.ca

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (08/16/90)

TOMIII@MTUS5.BITNET (Thomas Dwyer III) writes:
> Is there a somewhat foolproof method to determine if a machine is a
> Zenith vs. any other clone?

Since Zenith manufacturers its own BIOS, just search the BIOS area for
a Zenith copyright notice.  Just the keyword "Zenith" (non-case-sensitive,
of course) should be enough.

--
Marc Unangst               |
mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us  | Angular momentum makes the world go 'round.