[comp.os.msdos.programmer] Turbo Debugger 2.0 and 4DOS 3.01a do not get along well

minar@reed.bitnet (Nelson Minar,L08,x640,7776519) (08/16/90)

(posted here because I am tired of reading 30+ messages a day on comp.sys.ibm.
 pc.misc which don't belong there)

I've run into a few problems when using Turbo Debugger 2.0 running from 4DOS.
Specifically, when one exits TD 2.0 in one of its TSR modes.

If one shells to OS, 4DOS has a few problems with the keyboard: namely, the
command line editing is broken.  You can't hit the home key to get to the
beginning of your prompt line, etc. Its a small problem, but its annoying.
Perhaps TD 2.0 doesn't give up its hook into the readline routine? Furthermore,
returning back to TD 2.0 via exit tends to crash by 286 irrevocably - time to
hit the reset switch..

Similar problems exist when one asks TD to 'Go resident' - IE: return to DOS
but still catch breakpoints. When TD is reentered, it breaks the machine.

The fix for this is simple: switch back to command.com. Unfortunately, having
used 4DOS for 2 weeks now I am already addicted to it, so I find myself
switching back and forth fairly frequently..

ergo@netcom.UUCP (Isaac Rabinovitch) (08/17/90)

In <15339@reed.UUCP> minar@reed.bitnet (Nelson Minar,L08,x640,7776519) writes:

>If one shells to OS, 4DOS has a few problems with the keyboard: namely, the
>command line editing is broken.  You can't hit the home key to get to the
>beginning of your prompt line, etc. Its a small problem, but its annoying.
>Perhaps TD 2.0 doesn't give up its hook into the readline routine? Furthermore,
>returning back to TD 2.0 via exit tends to crash by 286 irrevocably - time to
>hit the reset switch..

>The fix for this is simple: switch back to command.com. Unfortunately, having
>used 4DOS for 2 weeks now I am already addicted to it, so I find myself
>switching back and forth fairly frequently..
Borland TSRs are notorious for not getting along with other programs
that hook interrupts.  4DOS seems to be particularly incompatible.
Sidekick Plus hangs the machine if you install it from 4DOS and then
try to unload it.  If you install Thelp from 4DOS, the hot key gives
only an error beep every second time (and occasional dies completely),
though sometimes this problem goes away if you're running another
program under 4DOS (but not, alas, either BRIEF or the Sage Editor).

Which suggests a possible solution to your problem:  Run command.com
from 4DOS, and *then* run TD.

BTW, does TD 2.0 allow you to define other object-oriented formats
besides those in Turbo Pascal and C++?  Neither of these appeal to me
as OO languages.  I've just discovered Complete C, which has
Smalltalk-like syntax and is available in a *very* cheap shareware
version.  It'd be nice to use TD with it.
--

ergo@netcom.uucp			Isaac Rabinovitch
atina!pyramid!apple!netcom!ergo		Silicon Valley, CA

Disclaimer:  I am what I am, and that's all what I am!

sidney@saturn.ucsc.edu (Sidney Markowitz ) (08/17/90)

In article <15339@reed.UUCP> minar@reed.bitnet (Nelson Minar) writes:

>I've run into a few problems when using Turbo Debugger 2.0 running from 4DOS.

Use the -ds switch when you start up TD, or, equivalently, set the
options to "Always Swap Display". The problem is that the way 4DOS
does it's direct screen I/O, TD has to treat it like a graphics
application and do more screen saving. You get the same problem if you
try to run Brief from a DOS shell under TD without -ds set.

I reported this to the TD developers at Borland, so probably a future
version will always swap the display when shelling to DOS, even if it
isn't set for the application.

I also reported this to the 4DOS developers at J.P. Software so they
could bulletproof their end.

-- sidney markowitz <sidney@saturn.ucsc.edu>
Borland R&D (but I don't speak for Borland)

sidney@saturn.ucsc.edu (Sidney Markowitz ) (08/17/90)

In article <15339@reed.UUCP> minar@reed.bitnet (Nelson Minar) writes:
>If one shells to OS, 4DOS has a few problems with the keyboard: namely, the
>command line editing is broken.

I made a slight error in my other posting on this. The fix is to start
TD using the -ds switch, as I said. However it does not correspond to
the "Always Swap Display" option. It corresponds to an option that can
only be set using TDINST under Display Options, called User Screen
Updating, and the option to select is Swap. The default is Flip Pages,
which causes the problem.

-- sidney <sidney@saturn.ucsc.saturn>