[comp.os.msdos.programmer] Screen Package for `C'--recommendations needed.

weisen@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Neil Weisenfeld) (08/09/90)

I am looking to buy a package of screen design functions for use with
Microsoft C 6.0.  I was looking at C-Worthy by Solution Systems, but
my boss was reluctant to shell out $400 for the package w/ source.
Currently I am leaning toward Vitamin C.  If anyone has any info on
any of these packages, or any suggestions for other suitable packages,
please e-mail me as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance,
Neil

nol2321@dsacg2.dsac.dla.mil (Jim Dunn) (08/10/90)

In article <27903@netnews.upenn.edu> weisen@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Neil Weisenfeld) writes:

>I am looking to buy a package of screen design functions for use with
>Microsoft C 6.0.  I was looking at C-Worthy by Solution Systems, but
>my boss was reluctant to shell out $400 for the package w/ source.
>Currently I am leaning toward Vitamin C.  If anyone has any info on
>any of these packages, or any suggestions for other suitable packages,
>please e-mail me as soon as possible.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Neil

Hey Neil,

I would like to STRONGLY suggest looking at CXL.  This is a shareware
package with a lot of bang for the buck.  It is a full-featured C add
on library for any of the following compilers:

	Microsoft C/Quick C/Zortech C/Turbo C

And for ONLY $35 you get disk with your choice of LIBS AND THE COMPLETE
SOURCE CODE!!!  The author's name is Mike Smedley, out of Texas.  And I
and several of my friends are quite happy with CXL.

The current version is 5.2, although SimTel20 has the demo version of
5.1, OK?

Here's the address/info:

	CXL Version 5.2
	c/o Mike Smedley
	P.O. Box 33603
	San Antonio, TX  78265

He's been working on it for years and plans to keep up the support,
including rumors about a NEW and IMPRESSIVE 6.0 version!

If you are not able to access Simtel and would like the demo, just
send me some email, OK?

:)
jim

 Jim Dunn:  jdunn@dsac.dla.mil; AV 850-9713; ATT 614-238-9713; FAX 614-238-9936
 U.S.Mail:  P.O. Box 1007, Hebron, Ohio 43025  FTP: 131.78.1.1 /ibm.pc, 5pm-8am
 "For God so loved the world, that He gave His Only Begotten Son that whosoever
 believes on Him should NOT perish, but have EVERLASTING LIFE." -John 3:16 KJV.

weisen@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Neil Weisenfeld) (08/10/90)

In article <2370@dsacg2.dsac.dla.mil>, nol2321@dsacg2 (Jim Dunn) writes:

>Hey Neil,
>
>I would like to STRONGLY suggest looking at CXL.  This is a shareware
>package with a lot of bang for the buck.  It is a full-featured C add
>on library for any of the following compilers:
>:)
>jim

CXL is great.  If it were for me, I'd buy it.  I tried really hard to
contact the author a while back.  Everyone around here said that he
had disappeared.  Unfortunately, the small model won't do for large
database apps.  If anyone knows what happened to Mike Smedley, please
let me know.  I even sent mail to his compuserve acct. and had it
bounce because his mailbox was full.

Thanks,
Neil

sidney@saturn.ucsc.edu (Sidney Markowitz ) (08/14/90)

In article <27927@netnews.upenn.edu>
  weisen@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Neil Weisenfeld) writes:
>CXL is great.  If it were for me, I'd buy it.  I tried really hard to
>contact the author a while back.

I have heard a rumor that Chip Rabinowitz, who can be reached by phone
at (215) 884-3373 or e-mail at 76702.1361@compuserve.com is going to
be getting the marketing rights to CXL. While I can't call it more
than a rumor until negotiations are complete and Chip announces it,
my source is sufficiently reliable that I can say that Chip will
not mind any phone calls or e-mail by potential customers in the
meantime.

Non-disclaimer: I have no financial ties to anyone associated with this.

-- sidney markowitz <sidney@saturn.ucsc.edu>

nol2321@dsacg2.dsac.dla.mil (Jim Dunn) (08/14/90)

Subject: Re: Screen Package for `C'--recommendations needed.

>>I would like to STRONGLY suggest looking at CXL.  This is a shareware
>>package with a lot of bang for the buck.  It is a full-featured C add
>>on library for any of the following compilers:
>>:)
>
>CXL is great.  If it were for me, I'd buy it.  I tried really hard to
>contact the author a while back.  Everyone around here said that he
>had disappeared.  Unfortunately, the small model won't do for large
>database apps.  If anyone knows what happened to Mike Smedley, please
>let me know.  I even sent mail to his compuserve acct. and had it
>bounce because his mailbox was full.

Well, these rumors have to stop.  You see, Mike has had some family
situations that called him from his computing for a while, OK?  But
now he's back and I just got me 5.2 version 3 weeks after mailing in
my payment.  Also, his compuserve account is now empty enough to
mail.

Go ahead!  CXL 6.0 and a cheap upgrade fee will be your reward!!!

:)
jdunn@dsac.dla.mil

william@syacus.acus.oz (William Mason) (08/15/90)

nol2321@dsacg2.dsac.dla.mil (Jim Dunn) writes:

>I would like to STRONGLY suggest looking at CXL.  This is a shareware
>package with a lot of bang for the buck.  It is a full-featured C add
>on library for any of the following compilers:

>	Microsoft C/Quick C/Zortech C/Turbo C

>And for ONLY $35 you get disk with your choice of LIBS AND THE COMPLETE
>SOURCE CODE!!!  The author's name is Mike Smedley, out of Texas.  And I
>and several of my friends are quite happy with CXL.

>Here's the address/info:

>	CXL Version 5.2
>	c/o Mike Smedley
>	P.O. Box 33603
>	San Antonio, TX  78265

  Does anyone have an e-mail address, FAX number or other contact for CXL ?
  Physical mail becomes somewhat of a problem in the antipodes.  Or even
  better -- is there anyone in Australia that alread has it.

  Advancing thanks,
		    William Mason		ph:    +61-2-887-6909
  		    ACUS R&D, Sydney		FAX:   +61-2-888-2424
		    Australia.			email:  william@syacus.oz.au

psycho@mango.ucsb.edu (Scot Kellan Forbes) (08/16/90)

In article <27903@netnews.upenn.edu> weisen@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Neil Weisenfeld) writes:

>I am looking to buy a package of screen design functions for use with
>Microsoft C 6.0.  I was looking at C-Worthy by Solution Systems, but
>my boss was reluctant to shell out $400 for the package w/ source.
>Currently I am leaning toward Vitamin C.  If anyone has any info on
>any of these packages, or any suggestions for other suitable packages,

I too am looking for a program to design screens with pull-down menus
that is compatible with Turbo C++ Pro.  It must support graphics mode!
Please e-mail responses, and all information is greatly appreciated!

Thanx much!
Scot Forbes

sidney@saturn.ucsc.edu (Sidney Markowitz ) (08/23/90)

Here's the official messages about the new status of CXL that I saw
on Compuserve.

Disclaimer: The following reads like a product announcement. I have
 no financial stake or interest in any of the products or parties
 involved. I'm just passing along the information.

-- sidney markowitz <sidney@saturn.ucsc.edu>

[forwarded messages follow:]

Fm: Mike Smedley 71331,2244
To: All

                        A N N O U N C E M E N T

    The CXL C function library, and all rights to market and support
it, have been sold.  CXL has been a pleasure to produce and support
in the past, but many things have come up, resulting in substandard
service to CXL users.  The sale was needed to ensure CXL's growth and
dominance in the shareware C library market.

    The new owner of CXL is Chip Rabinowitz and his company
Innovative Data Concepts.  Chip is well-known in the programming
community for his work on the TesSeRact TSR libraries and the Swap
Utilities.  He is also very active on CompuServe, providing
invaluable advice to both novice and expert programmers. Chip is an
active member of the Association of Shareware Professionals (ASP).

    All future CXL orders, inquiries, and support will be handled by
Innovative Data Concepts.  Their address is 1657 The Fairways, Suite
101, Jenkintown, PA 19046.  They can be contacted via electronic mail
on CompuServe (70731,20) or MCI Mail (315-5415). For tech support
call: 215-884-3373; FAX: 215-886-4226; orders: 1-800-926-4551.

    A new version of CXL is due out around September 1st, 1990, and
will contain all enhancements to CXL since version 5.2.  CXL will be
renamed to the "TesSeRact CXL Windowing Library" and will initially
appear as version 5.5.

======================================

Fm: Chip Rabinowitz(BprogB) 76702,1361
To: Mike Smedley 71331,2244 (X)

Innovative Data Concepts is pleased to announce the acquisition of
Mike Smedley's CXL Library.  We are proud to add such a high-quality
programmer's tool to your TesSeRact(TM) Development Tools product
line.

Version 5.5 of the TesSeRact CXL Windowing Library will be available
directly from IDC during the first week in September, 1990.  Some
(but not all) of the new features include:

     Faster window updates
     Automatic support for DV/Windows Virtual Screens
     Multi-field data entry has been greatly enhanced
     Help system is now 'callable'
     More than 20 new user functions
     Calling/Naming conventions standardized

CXL Version 5.5 will cost $50, which includes printed documentation,
the complete source code, and one library disk.  Additional library
disks are available for $15.  Current registered users of CXL will
receive an upgrade mailing within the next two weeks, offering them
the new version for $20. Library disks are available for Borland's
Turbo C 2.0/Turbo C++ 1.0; Microsoft C 5.1; Microsoft C 6.0;
Microsoft QuickC; and Zortech C++ 2.1. Other compiler support is
planned for the next few months.

While we WILL take orders for the product now, we request you wait
until the product officially is shipped next month.  Call IDC at
1-215-884-3373 for more information, or 1-800-926-4551 for orders.

Chip Rabinowitz Owner, Innovative Data Concepts

[end of forwarded messages]