[comp.os.msdos.programmer] DOS 5.0, glossy pages, On/OFF computers and Side or no Side.

nmouawad@water.waterloo.edu (Naji Mouawad) (08/21/90)

I have me a couple of questions... maybe old, maybe new...

1) DOS 5.0, DesqView and VCPI:

I've read in the last two issues of Pc Magazine that Microsoft is
working on version 5.0 of DOS. It seems that this beast will know
a bit more about expanded/extended memory, will use less ram and
will be able to swap Tsrs into High memory and extended memory.
that's all good and nice. However, the Virtual Control Program Interface
got me a bit worried: This thing can replace QEMM, 386_to_the_max and
the like. Question: in the invent I want to run DesqView under Dos 5.0,
will I be able to do so ? I don't have DesqView, I'm planning on buying
it, and I hate DOS 4.01 and don't want to go back to DOS 3.3 (I'm being
difficult :) ).

2) Before reading PC Magazine,  I tear down all glossy pages, all
pages that stands out of the mass of soft plastified pages. They make
flipping through the mags difficult and make the ads look pompous
if anything else. I counted over 50 pages that I had to throw away
from the last issue of PC Mags. Am I the only one who doesn't like
these pages or what ?

3) These two questions have been asked in the past, I'm sure.
However I'm actualy interested by *what* you do, *not* by what you
think one should do, and I'd like *short* answers so as to avoid
any futile inflamatory debate.

  a) Do you keep your computer ON all day and switch it OFF at the
     end of the day, or do you switch it OF every time you are done ?

    Please, answers in the following formats are much appreciated:
          SD ( I Switch it OFF at the end of the Day )
          SE ( I Switch it OFF Every time I'm done.  )

  b) Is your computer standing on its side ?

     Please, answers in the following format are much appreciated:
         SY ( The computer is Standing on its side      )
         SN ( The computer is not Standing on its side. )

 I would appreciate if you could e-mail me the answers to the last
question. I'll post the result in two weeks.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Naji.
--
         ---------------+-------------------------------------------
        | Naji Mouawad  |       nmouawad@water.waterloo.edu         |

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (08/21/90)

nmouawad@water.waterloo.edu (Naji Mouawad) writes:
> 1) DOS 5.0, DesqView and VCPI:
> [...]

There was an article recently posted to one of the comp.os.msdos
groups about DOS 5.0.  The general verdict was that there wasn't much
of one -- i.e., not enough is known about it yet.  Microsoft would
alienate a *lot* of users if DESQview and QEMM didn't run under it, so
I'm betting that they'll make sure it does before they release it.

This is pure speculation, though, so your milage certainly will vary.

> 2) Before reading PC Magazine,  I tear down all glossy pages, all
> pages that stands out of the mass of soft plastified pages. They make
> flipping through the mags difficult and make the ads look pompous
> if anything else. I counted over 50 pages that I had to throw away
> from the last issue of PC Mags. Am I the only one who doesn't like
> these pages or what ?

No, you're not the only one.  I'm also annoyed by all of those
cardboard insert cards, half of which are PC Magazine subscription
cards.  I already *have* a subscription to the #!#$#%@ magazine; why are
you asking me for another one?

This is one of the reasons I'm not going to renew my subscription when
it lapses in November.  (The others include much too much coverage of
Windows 3.0 and OS/2, along with their apparant readiness to give
anybody with a large ad budget a good review.  Did anybody but me
notice the fact that they practically endorsed the new PS/1, which is
based on a 10MHz 286 -- an about-face from their previous hard-line
stance of "nothing less than a 386SX"?  Do you think that had
*anything at all* to do with the fact that IBM is a big multinational
corporation that buys a lot of ad space in PC Magazine?)

>   a) Do you keep your computer ON all day and switch it OFF at the
>      end of the day, or do you switch it OF every time you are done ?

I keep my computer on all the time, day and night.  This is in part
because it's a UUCP-connected machine and I like to have my news
transferred overnight, instead of waiting an hour every morning for it
to grab all the news batches that came in overnight.

>   b) Is your computer standing on its side ?

No, but it has been several times over the years that I've had it.  I
didn't notice any differences in operation, and only switched the
configuration because of some new peripherals I added that didn't fit
in with the computer sideways.

--
Marc Unangst               |
mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us  | Angular momentum makes the world go 'round.

joe@proto.COM (Joe Huffman) (08/22/90)

In article <T6i9N5w162w@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us>, mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) writes:

> This is one of the reasons I'm not going to renew my subscription when
> it lapses in November.  (The others include much too much coverage of
> Windows 3.0 and OS/2, along with their apparant readiness to give
> anybody with a large ad budget a good review.  Did anybody but me

Did you see that when they reviewed Turbo C++ they benchmarked it with
Microsoft C and Turbo C, but not Zortech C/C++?  How about comparing
apples with apples guys?  Or were they too afraid of offending Borland?

Grrrrrrrrr....

---
Zortech mailing list: send email to 'ztc-list-request@uunet' with:
Add: your-use-name@your-machine-name
In the body of the message.
---
Zortech is my major source of income.  Statements about them or their
competitors cannot be totally without bias.
--
joe@proto.com
uunet!proto!joe

root@cca.ucsf.edu (Systems Staff) (08/25/90)

In article <1396@proto.COM>, joe@proto.COM (Joe Huffman) writes:
> In article <T6i9N5w162w@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us>, mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) writes:
>
> Did you see that when they reviewed Turbo C++ they benchmarked it with
> Microsoft C and Turbo C, but not Zortech C/C++?  How about comparing
> apples with apples guys?  Or were they too afraid of offending Borland?

I recently attended the Borland OOP World Tour one day tutorial on OOP.

Let's give them credit: they spoke of the Zortech package with great
respect. One attendee had a special requirement and they recommended
that he look at Zortech.

What more could you ask.

Compare that with IBM's recent ads (e.g. WSJ) which would lead you
to believe that

     1. Computer driven multi-media presentations are brand new.
     2. IBM invented them with the PS2 series.

 Thos Sumner       Internet: thos@cca.ucsf.edu
 (The I.G.)        UUCP: ...ucbvax!ucsfcgl!cca.ucsf!thos
                   BITNET:  thos@ucsfcca

 U.S. Mail:  Thos Sumner, Computer Center, Rm U-76, UCSF
             San Francisco, CA 94143-0704 USA

I hear nothing in life is certain but death and taxes -- and they're
working on death.

#include <disclaimer.std>