[comp.os.msdos.programmer] C, C++ recommendations needed

popeye@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Karl Richard Buck) (08/27/90)

The subject line really says it all. I am an engineering student with
a moderate amount of computer experience, and would like to do some
hacking in C, C++ but am unsure of the direction to go.

I know I am being kind of vague, but I am interested in anyone's $0.02.
Send e-mail or post if you think it might be of general interest or if
you would like to generate some discussion of your own.

System configuration: 16mhz 386sx clone, VGA with a soon-to-be-upgraded
30meg HD, and 5meg of ram. I run plain dos ~20% of the time and Windows
3.0 the rest of the time, but my aspirations are not so lofty as to think
I could be a proficient Windows programmer in my lifetime.

Thanks for any help.

--
 731 Moro	      popeye@matt.ksu.ksu.edu     " Vapid? "
 Manhattan, KS 66502  popeye@ksuvm.ksu.edu

mcjilton@handel.CS.ColoState.Edu (charles mar mcjilton) (08/27/90)

In article <26D8B777.3747@deimos.cis.ksu.edu> popeye@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Karl Richard Buck) writes:
>The subject line really says it all. I am an engineering student with
>a moderate amount of computer experience, and would like to do some
>hacking in C, C++ but am unsure of the direction to go.

I've got the Turbo C++ compiler.  I'd recommend it to you.  Remember, C++
is a superset of ANSI C.  Turbo compiles everything with a ".C" extension
into ANSI/K&R/some others C, and everything with a ".CPP" extension into
C++.  With the discounts on Turbo C++ right now, it's a really good deal.

<Using a freidsn account>
Sean

joe@proto.COM (Joe Huffman) (08/28/90)

In article <26D8B777.3747@deimos.cis.ksu.edu>, popeye@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Karl Richard Buck) writes:
> The subject line really says it all. I am an engineering student with
> a moderate amount of computer experience, and would like to do some
> hacking in C, C++ but am unsure of the direction to go.
>
> System configuration: 16mhz 386sx clone, VGA with a soon-to-be-upgraded
> 30meg HD, and 5meg of ram. I run plain dos ~20% of the time and Windows
> 3.0 the rest of the time, but my aspirations are not so lofty as to think
> I could be a proficient Windows programmer in my lifetime.

Zortech C/C++ is available at a substantial discount to people with .EDU
addresses.  Send email to zortech-ed@proto.com (I will receive it along with
some other people) with your phone number if you want someone to call you.
Or send a VISA/MasterCard number with necessary information if you are ready
to order.

Zortech C/C++ has "_handle" pointers for utilizing expanded memory, graphics
library for your VGA, and the fastest compile times for C++ code of any
compiler for MSDOS.  Numerous other things too, the debugger is excellent,
the class library is significantly better than the competition, it supports
Windows, OS/2, Rational Systems DOS extender, with Phar Lap DOS extender and
SCO UNIX support on the way, etc, etc...

---
Zortech mailing list: send email to 'ztc-list-request@uunet' with:
Add: your-user-name@your-machine-name
In the body of the message.
---
Zortech is my major source of income.  Statements about them or their
competitors cannot be totally without bias.
--
joe@proto.com
uunet!proto!joe