[comp.os.msdos.programmer] MSC 6.1 failing in VPIX environment.

NU013809@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Greg Wettstein) (09/04/90)

I finally bit the bullet and installed MSC 6.1 on the production machine at
work.  The environment is an 80386 ALR running at 20MHZ, 6 megabytes of
memory, XENIX 2.3.3, VPIX UPDATE A, 2 serials, parallel etc.

After everything loaded I cooked up the basic hello world program and
compiled it with: cl /Zi /Od hello.c

The executable was generated but when I executed it VPIX crashed with
the following message: unable to execute two-byte instruction.

Odd I thought to myself considering that optimization is turned off.  I
recompiled the program with: cl /Zi hello.c

This time VPIX dumped with a segmentation violation error.  I recompiled
the program with: cl hello.c and this time everything worked fine.

I kicked up the PWB and set the environment to compile with debugging
information (/Zi) and no optimization (/Od).  I told the PWB to compile
and execute and after grindig away for a couple of minutes the whole works
locked up tight.  I had to switch to another multi-screen and kill the
VPIX process to regain control.

Anybody have similar experiences running MSC 6.0 in a virtual environment?
I have two sets of installation disks (1.2 megabyte, 360 kbyte floppies)
and installation from either set causes identical behavior.  I like to
think of myself as a reasonable programmer but I don't think I would care
to function for very long without debugging information....

Any information, tests etc would be appreciated.  Please respond to my
address listed in the sig.  Thanks in advance for any information which may
be forthcoming.

                             As always,
                             Dr. G.W. Wettstein
                             Oncology Research Division Computing Facility
                             Fargo Clinic / MeritCare

                             UUCP: uunet!plains!wind!greg
                             INTERNET: greg%wind.uucp@plains.nodak.edu
                             Phone: 701-234-2833

`The truest mark of a man's wisdom is his ability to listen to other
 men expound their wisdom.'

rommel@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Kai-Uwe Rommel) (09/07/90)

In article <4576NU013809@NDSUVM1> NU013809@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Greg Wettstein) writes:
>I finally bit the bullet and installed MSC 6.1 on the production machine at
>work.  The environment is an 80386 ALR running at 20MHZ, 6 megabytes of
>memory, XENIX 2.3.3, VPIX UPDATE A, 2 serials, parallel etc.

Are you shure that you have C 6.1? Is there again a new version out?
Here in Germany not even all updated from 5.1 to 6.0 have been delivered.

Kai Uwe Rommel

--
/* Kai Uwe Rommel
 * Munich

NU013809@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Greg Wettstein) (09/09/90)

Sorry about the error, I was thinking of the previous release of the compiler
and I my fingers type 6.1 while my brain was thinking 6.0.

I have done some more testing and executables with debugging information
generated in them are still failing when compiled with MSC 6.0.

To date one person has responded saying that they have not had any problems
running MSC 6.0 in a virtual DOS environment.  Anybody else have time to
check this out?

mikey@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca (Michael GALLOP) (09/10/90)

In article <4326@tuminfo1.lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de> rommel@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Kai-Uwe Rommel) writes:
>In article <4576NU013809@NDSUVM1> NU013809@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Greg Wettstein) writes:
>>I finally bit the bullet and installed MSC 6.1 on the production machine at
>
>Are you shure that you have C 6.1? Is there again a new version out?
>Here in Germany not even all updated from 5.1 to 6.0 have been delivered.

You are right, MSC 6.1 is not even in beta, I work with a sight that
performs beta testing on Microsoft products,
they have heard nothing, we are still on C 6.0
Besides, If my rather faulty (organic and all :-)) memory serves
me correctly MSC 6.0 is only about 8 months old.

Yet another point, friends of mine work for Microsoft, I think I would
have heard. So no 6.1 is not released, 6.0 is the current version.

==
--
| mikey@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca | "Life is just a linear Regression to Chaos," |
| Mike Gallop	    	    | "...Poured through a Klein bottle"           |