[comp.os.msdos.programmer] SAA compliant COWS library

puglia@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Paul Puglia) (09/20/90)

A friend of mine is looking for a Character Oriented Windowing System
that is SAA compliant.  Has any body heard of such a creature? Could
you fill us in on exactly what this is, and could you point to a
manufacture of a COWS library that is compatiable with MicroSoft C.

Thanks in Advance

Paul Puglia
Dept of Civil Engineering
Columbia University

puglia@cucevx.civil.columbia.edu

DOUG@ysub.ysu.edu (Doug Sewell) (09/20/90)

MEWEL Window System, from Magma Software Systems, may be something to
fit the bill.  Here's the blurb from the Programmer's Shop catalog:
did fix

"Character-based windo{sic} system and library for building applications
with the look-and-feel of MS Windows or Mac applications.  Adhere to
SSA/CUA{sic} standard.  API similar to MS Windows API at message and
function level.  Support for all controls in Windows.  Mouse support;
EGA or VGA.  Full sibling, parent/child clipping."

The most-recent PC Magazine also spoke positively about this product.
It appears to be a good way to get your feet wet with Windows-style
programming, as well.  Turbo C and Microsoft C supported.

Prices (Programmer's Shop): $195 list/$169 PS.  With source: $495 list/
$469 PS.  Most programmer's supply shops (Programmer's Connection in
N Canton, OH, Programmer's Paradise in Tarrytown, NY, for example) also
carry this product at a discount.
--
Doug Sewell, Tech Support, Computer Center,
Youngstown State University, Youngstown,  OH 44555

nbladt@aut.UUCP (Norbert Bladt) (09/21/90)

puglia@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Paul Puglia) writes:

>A friend of mine is looking for a Character Oriented Windowing System
>that is SAA compliant.  Has any body heard of such a creature? Could

In the german version of the "Microsoft System Journal" there
was a series of articles (including source code on floopy) covering
that. It includes dialog boxes, list boxes, edit fields, supports
mice (with their own driver, so it won't work with SuperVGA and their
special text-modes, I guess). This series of articles was called:

	SAA in C

which means the same in german as in english.
I myself missed the first 3 or 4 parts, but they have put the
complete source code for the first 7 parts on a floppy which was included
with the 7th part.

>Thanks in Advance
I don't know about the copyright for these articles and whether I may
post it or not, but this series will be published in a book with
source code on floppies included. I don't know the ISBN number, yet,
mostly because it is not published. The new source code will, of
course, have fewer bugs than the version in the journal.
That should not indicate, that there are a lot of bugs in the code
already published. I did find just one (didn't report it and have
not checked whether it is still in the last version :-( ).

>Paul Puglia
>Dept of Civil Engineering
>Columbia University
>puglia@cucevx.civil.columbia.edu

Norbert Bladt.
--
Please use this path as return address. DON'T USE THE RETURN PATH IN THE HEADER
Norbert Bladt, Ascom Autelca AG, Worbstr. 201, CH-3073 Guemligen, Switzerland

nbladt@aut.UUCP (Norbert Bladt) writes:

>In the german version of the "Microsoft System Journal" there
>was a series of articles (including source code on floopy) covering
>that. It includes dialog boxes, list boxes, edit fields, supports
>mice (with their own driver, so it won't work with SuperVGA and their
>special text-modes, I guess). This series of articles was called:

>	SAA in C

>which means the same in german as in english.

I forgot to mention that this will run under DOS and OS/2 (up to version 1.2,
it uses the VIO, MOU and KBD calls which will not be in 2.0 (rumour has it)).

Norbert.