[comp.os.msdos.programmer] Turbo Pascal / wanted: patch for reading from READONLY drives

RLambour@massey.ac.nz (Bob Lambourne) (09/25/90)

I'm working in Turbo Pascal 5.0 in a PC-NFS enviroment, and need to read
files on a network drive that is mounted READONLY. Currently, RESET's on
such files return Dos error 5 (File Access Denied), implying that Turbo
Pascal is trying to open the file READ/WRITE.

I've been told that a one byte patch to deal with this problem/bug was
recently posted, probably to this newsgroup, but I haven't been able to
locate it in our archives. I would be very grateful if someone who has
this at their finger tips could email it to me or post it as
appropriate.

Thanks.

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (09/25/90)

In article <1017@massey.ac.nz> RLambour@massey.ac.nz (Bob Lambourne) writes:

>I'm working in Turbo Pascal 5.0 in a PC-NFS enviroment, and need to read
>files on a network drive that is mounted READONLY. Currently, RESET's on
>such files return Dos error 5 (File Access Denied), implying that Turbo
>Pascal is trying to open the file READ/WRITE.
>
>I've been told that a one byte patch to deal with this problem/bug was
>recently posted, probably to this newsgroup, but I haven't been able to
>locate it in our archives. I would be very grateful if someone who has
>this at their finger tips could email it to me or post it as
>appropriate.

Before you try to patch anything first see if the following helps:
  FileMode := 0;
It certaily works without a hitch for non-network environments.

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)