[comp.os.msdos.programmer] MSDOS recursive dir walk help

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (10/01/90)

In article <2613@naucse.cse.nau.edu> rrw@naucse.cse.nau.edu (Robert Wier) writes:

>  Not being an MSDOS expert, I wonder if anyone can suggest
> an easy way out of the following problem:
> While installing a CD ROM drive, I inadvertantly managed to
> copy about a FIVE HUNDRED data files to a hard disk.  The path
> looks like
>  c:\dir1\dir2\dir3\dir4\files
> The problem is that the files are marked READ ONLY (reasonable
> since they came off a CDROM).  Question: how do I delete 'em
> without having to cd into each and every subdirectory above
> the files? (in case it wasn't clear from the above.. there

There are two utilities that might come handy here. The first is
sweep.com (included in /pc/pd2/cpcug.zip), which can be used to
reset all the readonly attributes (sweep attrib -r *.*), and the
second is /pc/pd2/pdel41.zip, which can be used to delete
directories and files.  Be careful, though, with pdel, lest you end
up with an empty harddisk.

The wares are available from chyde.uwasa.fi, Vaasa, Finland,
128.214.12.3 by anonymous ftp, or our new mail-server if you don't
have anonymous ftp.

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)

r3jjs@VAX1.CC.UAKRON.EDU (Jeremy J Starcher) (10/01/90)

In article <2613@naucse.cse.nau.edu> rrw@naucse.cse.nau.edu (Robert Wier) writes:

>  Not being an MSDOS expert, I wonder if anyone can suggest
> an easy way out of the following problem:
>
> While installing a CD ROM drive, I inadvertantly managed to
> copy about a FIVE HUNDRED data files to a hard disk.  The path
> looks like
>
>  c:\dir1\dir2\dir3\dir4\files

I have a program called 'deldir' that will do as you ask.. I don't have
access to it right now or I would send it to an ftp site for you..

Normal MS-DOS cannot recuse directories...

Anther option would be to use a sweep or one of its clones that does recurse
dirctories  (This is built into 4DOS) with the command:

Sweep attrib -r (c:\dir1\*.*)