[comp.os.msdos.programmer] MS make is not really make??

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (09/20/90)

Is it possible to set up a makefile like the one below with MS C 6.0?

OBJS = foo.o foo1.o ....

all: $(OBJS)
	$(CC) $(OBJS)

MS make doesn't seem to understand inference rules very well. I
defined one like this, but it didn't work.  Anyway, shouldn't this
already be built in?

.c.obj:
	cl /c $*.c;

Also, is anyone using GNU make?  It keeps giving me a 'separator
missing' error, or it crashes the machine.

It doesn't look like the transition from Unix to DOS is going to be
fun.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make this less
painful?  Do Turbo C(++) or Zortech C++ provide an environment more
like Unix?

-Mike

joe@proto.COM (Joe Huffman) (09/22/90)

In article <Fahn5#52@cs.psu.edu>, melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger)
writes:

> OBJS = foo.o foo1.o ....
>
> all: $(OBJS)
> 	$(CC) $(OBJS)
>
> MS make doesn't seem to understand inference rules very well. I
> defined one like this, but it didn't work.  Anyway, shouldn't this
> already be built in?
>
> .c.obj:
> 	cl /c $*.c;

The first will work with Zortech make.  The equivalent for the second would
be:

.c.obj:
  ztc -c $*.c

---
Zortech mailing list: send email to 'ztc-list-request@uunet.uu.net' with:
Add: your-user-name@your-machine-name
In the body of the message.
---
Send Zortech bug reports to 'zortech-bugs@proto.com'
---
Zortech is my major source of income.  Statements about them or their
competitors cannot be totally without bias.
--
joe@proto.com
FAX: 208-263-8772

richgi@microsoft.UUCP (Richard GILLMANN) (09/22/90)

In article <Fahn5#52@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:
|Is it possible to set up a makefile like the one below with MS C 6.0?
|
|OBJS = foo.o foo1.o ....
|
|all: $(OBJS)
|	$(CC) $(OBJS)

If you change the .o extensions to .obj, this makefile will work fine
with C6 and NMAKE.  NMAKE is quite compatible with make, but of course
the DOS or OS/2 shell is different than Unix, and this is where most
of the conversion work comes from.

kdb@chinet.chi.il.us (Karl Botts) (09/25/90)

Get the MKS ToolKit, MKS Make and -- if you need 'em -- lex and yacc.
Believe me, if you are a Unix programmer working under DOS, you have no
other choice.  Your sanity is seriously at risk here.

dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) (10/02/90)

In <1990Sep25.040646.10101@chinet.chi.il.us> kdb@chinet.chi.il.us (Karl
Botts) writes:

>Get the MKS ToolKit, MKS Make and -- if you need 'em -- lex and yacc.
>Believe me, if you are a Unix programmer working under DOS, you have no
>other choice.

I have found NDMAKE excellent.  It will even build a linker response
file for you to work around the MS-DOS command line limit.
--
Rahul Dhesi <dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com>
UUCP:  oliveb!cirrusl!dhesi