[comp.os.msdos.programmer] ASCII text -> Lotus 1-2-3

alicia@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Alicia Ann Weinhold) (10/02/90)

I need a program that can take a ASCII text report (set up as a standard
report, you know rows of data that are in columns) and translate it so
that I can import it into Lotus 1-2-3 cells.

I need this so I can do what-ifs and other analysis on it.

If such a program is not available, can someone tell me how a 1-2-3 file
is set up so I can write this program.

Any help will be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

				   Alicia

koji@isi.edu (Koji Okazaki) (10/03/90)

In article <6707@uwm.edu> alicia@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Alicia Ann Weinhold) writes:

>I need a program that can take a ASCII text report (set up as a standard
>report, you know rows of data that are in columns) and translate it so
>that I can import it into Lotus 1-2-3 cells.
>
>I need this so I can do what-ifs and other analysis on it.
>
>If such a program is not available, can someone tell me how a 1-2-3 file
>is set up so I can write this program.
>
>Any help will be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
>
>				   Alicia

Lotus 123 already has this feature.  Use /file import and /data parse
to import and align your data for proper parsing.

					/Koji

amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) (10/04/90)

In article <6707@uwm.edu> alicia@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Alicia Ann Weinhold) writes:
>I need a program that can take a ASCII text report (set up as a standard
>report, you know rows of data that are in columns) and translate it so
>that I can import it into Lotus 1-2-3 cells.

   First, let me say that all current versions of lotus (2.2, 3.1, 3.01, & 3.1)
all allow importation of ascii files/data.  I'm also pretty sure that it worked
the same under version 2.01 as it does under 2.2.  It appears under the file
menu as import I believe.
   Then, let me add that in my opinion, lotus's interpretation and application
of this leaves, well, let's say, something to be desired.  In this vein I
looked around and found much to my surprise a program that does exactly this.
(Unpaid advertisement to follow...)
   The product is AutoImport by WHite Crane Systems, 6400 Atlantic Blvd.
Suite 180, Norcross Georgia 30071, USA,  Telephone 404-446-0660.
I purchased it during a release special, and paid I believe about $ 100.
I don't have any idea what it runs now....
While it is a little messy, and combersome, and the doc's aren't anything
special, I'll also say the following.  There probably have been several
updates since purchasing this copy.  It is somewhat lotus like in appearance
and function.  It isn't a speadsheat program, it just creates 123, symphony,
excel, quattro, dbase iii, DIF, Sylk, & PRN compatible spreadsheets from
you ascii file.  Basically, it works in 2 processes, 1. you make a MASK of
what it is you want to do, remapping a character map & characteristics into
whatever it is you want to do to get it into your speadsheet.  For example,
you can turn a set or rows into a set of columns and visa versa or both into
a spreadsheet of your choice.  After you have a MASK all completed, you then
process your ascii file and it outputs the desired (requested + masked)
speadsheet file.  This setup would be ideal for a situation where you have,
for example a dumb process controller that outputs raw data in a fixed form
and you want to import it to a speadsheet, using a layout, etc of your choice.
And you want to do the same thing time after time without any thinking...
This process is a little cumbersome when you have a bunch of different files
that change formats etc, and you want to import 1 or 2 of them or want to
do a bunch of them differently....
But this is the ONLY software I found that does this, ANYWHERE's near as nice
and easy as it does, and it works well.  I recommend it, ***
al

--
Al. Michielsen, Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Syracuse University
 InterNet: amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu  amichiel@sunrise.acs.syr.edu