[comp.os.msdos.programmer] Need Advice on C User-interface Builing Libraries

sgf0z@watt.acc.Virginia.EDU (Steven Glenn Fox) (09/14/90)

I need suggestions for a window, menu and general user-interface tools library for C.  One package I know of is CWorthy.  I know
little about it and nothing about it's competitors.  HELP!

I will probably be using Turbo C 2.0 or possibly Turbo C++.

A major consideration is the licensing rights involved in
redistribution of programs built using these libraries.

Thanks!

Steven G. Fox                                   sgf0z@virginia.edu
University of Virginia Systems Engineering      (804) 982-2073
Charlottesville, Virginia

lwb@pensoft.UUCP (Lance Bledsoe) (09/19/90)

In article <1990Sep14.140640.8647@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> sgf0z@watt.acc.Virginia.EDU (Steven Glenn Fox) writes:

>I need suggestions for a window, menu and general user-interface tools library for C.  One package I know of is CWorthy.  I know
>little about it and nothing about it's competitors.  HELP!

I've used C-Worthy, Blaise Ctools Plus (& Turbo C Tools) and Window Boss.

For any reasonably small interface, I would reccommend Window Boss and then
the Blaise stuff.  Window boss is available through the C Users group for
$8.00 (shareware).

Good Luck,

--
Lance Bledsoe                       Off:    (512) 343-1111
Pencom Software, Inc.               Fax     (512) 343-9650

emanuel@palnet.UUCP (Erwin Manuel) (09/25/90)

In article <1990Sep14.140640.8647@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU>
sgf0z@watt.acc.Virginia.EDU (Steven Glenn Fox) writes:

>...need suggestions for a window, menu and general user-interface
>tools library for C.  One package I know of is CWorthy...

One of the best, I think is the CXL library.  I believe the latest
release is version 5.2.  Some of its functions include:
  windowing
  multi-field formatted entry
  menus
  mouse support
  keyboard routines
    etc.

It's a shareware program that's around $35 to register.  I'm pretty sure
the manuals say that the library is royalty free.  Also, it supports
Turbo C, MS C, Zortech C++, and QC.

mitchell (Bill Mitchell) (10/01/90)

In article <[26ff0a6e:59.2]comp.os.msdos.programmer;1@palnet.UUCP> emanuel@palnet.UUCP (Erwin Manuel) writes:
>In article <1990Sep14.140640.8647@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU>
>sgf0z@watt.acc.Virginia.EDU (Steven Glenn Fox) writes:
>>
>>...need suggestions for a window, menu and general user-interface
>>tools library for C.  One package I know of is CWorthy...
>
>One of the best, I think is the CXL library.  I believe the latest
>release is version 5.2.  Some of its functions include:
>  windowing
>  multi-field formatted entry
>  menus
>  mouse support
>  keyboard routines
>    etc.
>
>It's a shareware program that's around $35 to register.  I'm pretty sure
>the manuals say that the library is royalty free.  Also, it supports
>Turbo C, MS C, Zortech C++, and QC.

I've used and been impressed by The Window BOSS (lousy name for a very
good package).  It's been around for several years now, and has a new
edition with more features once or twice a year.  $20 for shareware,
$55 for the library source.

Available from Star Guidance Consulting, 273 Windy Drive, Waterbury Conn
06705, (203) 574-2449.

minar@reed.bitnet (Nelson Minar,L08,x640,7776519) (10/02/90)

In article <1990Oct1.095100.5055@mdivax1.uucp> mdivax1!bb29c!mitchell (Bill Mitchell) writes:
>In article <[26ff0a6e:59.2]comp.os.msdos.programmer;1@palnet.UUCP> emanuel@palnet.UUCP (Erwin Manuel) writes:
>>>...need suggestions for a window, menu and general user-interface
>>>tools library for C.  One package I know of is CWorthy...

>I've used and been impressed by The Window BOSS (lousy name for a very
>good package).  It's been around for several years now, and has a new
>edition with more features once or twice a year.  $20 for shareware,
>$55 for the library source.

>Available from Star Guidance Consulting, 273 Windy Drive, Waterbury Conn
>06705, (203) 574-2449.

Is there any chance of a class interface to the Window Boss package? I've
thought about doing one, but I think just overlaying C++ code to the C
function calls would be a little false.  Looking at the Window Boss in an OOP
way, one sees a few defeciencies in the package that would make it undesirable
to simply program a class interface on top of it.  And, I don't have the
sources as I can't afford them.

Star Guidance, you listening out there? Any C++ hackers done a class interface
for a windowing system?

nol2321@dsacg4.dsac.dla.mil (Jim Dunn) (10/04/90)

   Fm: Mike Smedley 71331,2244
   To: All

                           A N N O U N C E M E N T

       The CXL C function library, and all rights to market and support
   it, have been sold.  CXL has been a pleasure to produce and support
   in the past, but many things have come up, resulting in substandard
   service to CXL users.  The sale was needed to ensure CXL's growth and
   dominance in the shareware C library market.

       The new owner of CXL is Chip Rabinowitz and his company
   Innovative Data Concepts.  Chip is well-known in the programming
   community for his work on the TesSeRact TSR libraries and the Swap
   Utilities.  He is also very active on CompuServe, providing
   invaluable advice to both novice and expert programmers. Chip is an
   active member of the Association of Shareware Professionals (ASP).

       All future CXL orders, inquiries, and support will be handled by
   Innovative Data Concepts.  Their address is 1657 The Fairways, Suite
   101, Jenkintown, PA 19046.  They can be contacted via electronic mail
   on CompuServe (70731,20) or MCI Mail (315-5415). For tech support
   call: 215-884-3373; FAX: 215-886-4226; orders: 1-800-926-4551.

       A new version of CXL is due out around September 1st, 1990, and
   will contain all enhancements to CXL since version 5.2.  CXL will be
   renamed to the "TesSeRact CXL Windowing Library" and will initially
   appear as version 5.5.

   ======================================

   Fm: Chip Rabinowitz(BprogB) 76702,1361
   To: Mike Smedley 71331,2244 (X)

   Innovative Data Concepts is pleased to announce the acquisition of
   Mike Smedley's CXL Library.  We are proud to add such a high-quality
   programmer's tool to your TesSeRact(TM) Development Tools product
   line.

   Version 5.5 of the TesSeRact CXL Windowing Library will be available
   directly from IDC during the first week in September, 1990.  Some
   (but not all) of the new features include:

        Faster window updates
        Automatic support for DV/Windows Virtual Screens
        Multi-field data entry has been greatly enhanced
        Help system is now 'callable'
        More than 20 new user functions
        Calling/Naming conventions standardized

   CXL Version 5.5 will cost $50, which includes printed documentation,
   the complete source code, and one library disk.  Additional library
   disks are available for $15.  Current registered users of CXL will
   receive an upgrade mailing within the next two weeks, offering them
   the new version for $20. Library disks are available for Borland's
   Turbo C 2.0/Turbo C++ 1.0; Microsoft C 5.1; Microsoft C 6.0;
   Microsoft QuickC; and Zortech C++ 2.1. Other compiler support is
   planned for the next few months.

   While we WILL take orders for the product now, we request you wait
   until the product officially is shipped next month.  Call IDC at
   1-215-884-3373 for more information, or 1-800-926-4551 for orders.

   Chip Rabinowitz Owner, Innovative Data Concepts
   E-Mail, Internet address: 76702.1361@compuserve.com

Being a registered user of CXL v5.2 and v5.5, I am a little biased, but
after browsing the shareware version of CXL you'll agree with me that
for $50, you're getting a lot of bang for the buck!

Support and enhancements to CXL (now called TCXL, kinda takes you back
in time if you were around when CXL used to be called TCXL, short for
TurboCXL) will be handled by Innovative Data Concepts.  The price is
$50 for the following:

	Printed Documentation, Complete Source, One Library Disk

Additional library disks are available for $15 each, upgrades from old
versions of CXL are available for $20, or free if you purchased them
on or after August 1st, 1990.

NOTE:  I have no $$$ connection with CXL, TCXL, or IDC, except to be a
satisfied customer.

ADDR:
	IDC (Innovative Data Concepts)
	1657 The Fairways, Suite 101, Jenkingtown, PA 19046
	Voice number:  215-884-3373
	FAX number:    215-886-4225
	Order only:  1-800-926-4551