[comp.os.msdos.programmer] Assembly code for modem control

standish@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Jeffrey L Standish) (09/24/90)

Does anyone know where I could find some good assembly code for controlling
a modem from an IBM PC (8088)?

					Jeff Standish

msmith%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Matthew Smith) (10/06/90)

In article <14294@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> standish@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Jeffrey L Standish) writes:
>Does anyone know where I could find some good assembly code for controlling
>a modem from an IBM PC (8088)?
>
>					Jeff Standish

It depends on what you mean by "controlling the modem".  If you are looking
to write a whole comm program in assembly, I would greatly urge to to take on
some less strenuous task (maybe something along the lines of climbing Mt.
Everest in the dead of winter will suffice).  But, if you are looking for some
way of setting up the modem, setting up an interrupt driver, and routines to
send/receive characters from the modem, it's all pretty much done with
hardware ports, in which you should be able to derive your own code when given
the specs of each of the ports.  I don't currently have my list here with me
now, but if you want, you can leave me mail, and I can leave you some C source
code which simply a basic terminal emulator.  Send/receive from the modem.  No
fancy emulation modes, no auto-dialing.  But I'm using it as a base from which
I'm writing other code.

The routines are very short.  The longest one is used to initialize the com
port, the rest of them are 4-5 lines of simple C code.

Matt Smith
msmith@peruvian.utah.edu