[comp.os.msdos.programmer] X windows on PCs - Who has the best ??

andy@mks.com (Andy Toy) (10/03/90)

In article <4d238f0b.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM> nelson_p@apollo.HP.COM (Peter Nelson) writes:
>>Hummingbird is in Ontario Canada and can be reached at (416)470-1207.
>
>   When I called that number I got a modem carrier.   Is it a real
>   company or is it "two guys in their basement"?

The number above is their FAX number.  Their VOX number is 416-470-1203.

>   So what's the story?  What's out there for X on PC's?  Thanks in
>   advance for any pointers.

Since you have a 386 PC, you should be able to run X server and clients
under UNIX.  X is available for PCs running System V/386 from various
vendors such as ISC, SCO, Everex,...  I have only seen X server
software for PCs running DOS.
--
Andy Toy, Mortice Kern Systems Inc.,       Internet: andy@mks.com
  35 King Street North, Waterloo,       UUCP: uunet!watmath!mks!andy

stever@Octopus.COM (Steve Resnick ) (10/04/90)

In article <4d2d6d99.28499@apollo.HP.COM> nelson_p@apollo.HP.COM (Peter Nelson) writes:

>  From: andy@mks.com (Andy Toy)
>
>>>   So what's the story?  What's out there for X on PC's?  Thanks in
>>>   advance for any pointers.
>>
>>Since you have a 386 PC, you should be able to run X server and clients
>>under UNIX.  X is available for PCs running System V/386 from various
>>vendors such as ISC, SCO, Everex,...  I have only seen X server
>>software for PCs running DOS.
>

>   But then I have to use UNIX.  Not that I mind UNIX for certain
>   things, after all, it's the OS I use at work.  But I use DOS
>   at home because I want to take advantage of the apps which are
>   available for DOS.
>
>      [ And I hope nobody buys that horseshit about "DOS
>        compatibility mode" -- I have Windows 3.0 and Desqview
>        and neither one of them can run 80% of the DOS apps
>        I use regularly-- either because the ones I use do
>        graphics and take over the hardware, or because they
>        play games with DMA and IRQ's as with backup and other
>        utilities.   I have no reason to assume that UNIX with
>        a DOS compatibility mode would do any better! ]
>
>   So anyway I posted my question a week or so ago -- and is this
>   the consensus?  That there currently IS no X client/server combo
>   for PC's running DOS except for the to-be-released QuarterDeck
>   product?   Does anyone know anything about their product like
>   cost or system requirements?    Thanks in advance.
>
>                                                   ---Peter

The leaflet I have here, says DESQview X will run on an 8086 with 640K,
but I think you will be EXTREMELY limited. You will probably do better on
a 2-4MB 80386. (This is what they ran at their announcement). I don't know
about cost, I will guess that it's going to be somewhere around $200-$250.

Cheers!
Steve

steve.resnick@f105.n143.z1.FIDONET.ORG - or - apple!camphq!105!steve.resnick
Flames, grammar errors, spelling errrors >/dev/nul

unhd (Roger Gonzalez ) (10/04/90)

>Since you have a 386 PC, you should be able to run X server and clients
>under UNIX.  X is available for PCs running System V/386 from various
>vendors such as ISC, SCO, Everex,...  I have only seen X server
>software for PCs running DOS.

I just got the glossies for DESQview 386/X, which operates as both server
and client.  It looks great, but "until spring" it is still vaporware.

-Roger
--
"The question of whether a computer can think is no more interesting
 than the question of whether a submarine can swim" - Edsgar W. Dijkstra

werner@aecom.yu.edu (Craig Werner) (10/07/90)

	Back in the spring at PC Expo, they said October. Well, it's
October.  Does anybody know whether its just a question of it not being
Bug-free yet, or whether they are just so overwhelmed getting the DPMI
compatible version of Desqview-386 out (5.1/2.3) that they are waiting
for the dust to settle?
--
	        Craig Werner   (future MD/PhD, 5.5 years down, 2.5 to go)
	     werner@aecom.YU.EDU -- Albert Einstein College of Medicine