[comp.os.msdos.programmer] Make wars: was

lfk@athena.mit.edu (Lee F Kolakowski) (10/03/90)

On 2 Oct 90 02:13:37 GMT,
dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) said:
> In <1990Sep25.040646.10101@chinet.chi.il.us> kdb@chinet.chi.il.us (Karl
> Botts) writes:

>>Get the MKS ToolKit, MKS Make and -- if you need 'em -- lex and yacc.
>>Believe me, if you are a Unix programmer working under DOS, you have no
>>other choice.

> I have found NDMAKE excellent.  It will even build a linker response
> file for you to work around the MS-DOS command line limit.
> --

There are *lots* of versions of make for PCs.

I used to use NDmake. It works well.

I first used a home brewed make. That was OK.

Previous versions of MS-make were awful, and did not conform to the
conventions of AT&T version 7 make.

D. Kneller (author of NDmake) now sells a product called opus make
It is supposed to be nice. MKS make and Ploytron make are nice too.

There is a PD make that the MKS make was orignally based on called
DMAKE. It runs on msdos, unix, and others. It can generate automatic
response files for anything. It can communicate with other shells
(other than command.com). There is a version in preparation that can
swap itself to XMS, EMS, or Disk then execute the command line.  It is
very compatible with Unix make. The source was posted to
comp.sources.misc not long ago, the binary was posted to
comp.binaries.ibm.pc also not long ago. It will also interact properly
with my version of RCS (Revision Control System) (also posted to
comp.binaries.ibm.pc) and is covered by the GPL (Gnu Public License).

The war about this issue is the same as other religious wars so
lets go to some other issue.

--

Frank Kolakowski

|lfk@athena.mit.edu                     ||      Lee F. Kolakowski    |
|lfk@eastman2.mit.edu                   ||	M.I.T.		     |
|kolakowski@wccf.mit.edu                ||	Dept of Chemistry    |
|lfk@mbio.med.upenn.edu		        ||	Room 18-506	     |
|lfk@hx.lcs.mit.edu                     ||	77 Massachusetts Ave.|
|AT&T:  1-617-253-1866                  ||	Cambridge, MA 02139  |
|                         #include <woes.h>         		     |
|		           One-Liner Here!                           |

erc@argon.berkeley.edu (Eric Ng) (10/03/90)

GNU make 3.58 has been ported to MS-DOS by Thorsten Ohl as part of his
GNUish MS-DOS project.  It is a typical Thorsten Ohl high quality port and
includes, among other things, swapping.

It is available by anonymous FTP from ocf.berkeley.edu (128.32.184.254)
in the pub/GNU/gnudos subdirectory.  Also available is the entire GNUish
MS-DOS project (GNU software ported to MS-DOS, including the file
utilities, e?grep, and diff).

-eric

--
eric ng 1906 milvia street berkeley california 94704
..!ucbvax!irss.njit.edu!erc ...!ucbvax!argon!erc

minar@reed.bitnet (Nelson Minar,L08,x640,7776519) (10/03/90)

In article <1990Oct2.185518.25239@athena.mit.edu> lfk@athena.mit.edu (Lee F Kolakowski) writes:

>There is a PD make that the MKS make was orignally based on called
>DMAKE. It runs on msdos, unix, and others. It can generate automatic
>response files for anything.

Are the response file formats configurable? One annoyance of NDMAKE is that
it generates response files for the Microsoft linker and librarian which
are different formats from those response files need for Borland's linker
and librarian.

evil@arcturus.uucp (Wade Guthrie) (10/05/90)

Eric Ng writes:
> It is available by anonymous FTP from ocf.berkeley.edu (128.32.184.254)

This has probably been beaten to death, but does an MS-DOS version
of FTP exist so that I could do the anonymous FTP?
--
Wade Guthrie (evil@arcturus.UUCP)    | "He gasped in terror at what sounded
Rockwell International; Anaheim, CA  | like a man trying to gargle while

In article <1990Oct5.154117.15039@arcturus.uucp> evil@arcturus.uucp (Wade Guthrie) writes:
| Eric Ng writes:
| > It is available by anonymous FTP from ocf.berkeley.edu (128.32.184.254)
|
| This has probably been beaten to death, but does an MS-DOS version
| of FTP exist so that I could do the anonymous FTP?

  If you have internet access I assume you have hosts which speak ftp.
You can certainly get stp for the PC, and buy and ethernet card, if
that's what you want to do. Ask your ethernet administrator about a host
you can use to get things.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX