[comp.os.msdos.programmer] DOS in ROM?

poirot@aio.jsc.nasa.gov (Daniel Poirot) (10/05/90)

Now that 8088 motherboards are as cheap as they are, I would like to
replace some ageing micro-controllers with a PC motherboard.

With up to eight slots on some of these boards, this would allow me to
customize the controller by adding standard PC expansion boards.  Also,
programming in C and testing in a DOS host would be very attractive.

I would like to be able to run in a disk-free configuration for several
data-gathering points in the lab.

Several of the manufacturors of EPROM boards for the PC advertise the
capability of running DOS in ROM.  I am interested in a copy of the ROM
image if one is available.

Has anyone had any experience with putting DOS in ROM?  I understand
Radio Shack, Grid and Digital Research all use some sort of DOS in
ROM.

Also, I have a locator program from Dr. Dobbs Journal that is supposed
to convert .EXE files into a ROM image.  The article was aimed at a
BIOS-only system without DOS.  This would be O.K. but would defeat the
host-based testing capability.

Please reply by E-Mail as I will be out of the office for the next few
days.  Responses will be summarized and posted if there is sufficent
interest.

Thanks

Daniel Poirot           poirot@aio.jsc.nasa.gov
Lockheed C07A           "The mind is a terrable thing."
2400 NASA Rd. 1         tel: (713)483-2426
Houston, TX 77058       fax: (713)483-6120

psfales@cbnewsc.att.com (Peter Fales) (10/07/90)

In article <687@aio.jsc.nasa.gov>, poirot@aio.jsc.nasa.gov (Daniel Poirot) writes:
> Several of the manufacturors of EPROM boards for the PC advertise the
> capability of running DOS in ROM.  I am interested in a copy of the ROM
> image if one is available.
>
> Has anyone had any experience with putting DOS in ROM?  I understand
> Radio Shack, Grid and Digital Research all use some sort of DOS in
> ROM.

I have been experimenting recently with putting DOS in ROM in order to
improve the performance of my floppy disk only laptop machine (a
Sharp PC-4501).  After disassembling a few key parts of the boot sector
and IO.SYS, it did not turn out to be too difficult.

The laptop BIOS helped out quite a bit by treating the ROM card as
a third floppy device.  Creating the ROM image was just a matter of
putting DOS, COMMAND.COM, CONFIG.SYS, AUTOEXEC.BAT, and all my standard
utilities on a floppy disk, then simply copying that disk image byte
for byte into a series of EPROMS.  I did have to patch a few bytes
to get the system to boot from a floppy drive other than A:, but it
seems to be working quite well.

I would be interested in knowing the ROM cards for standard PCs work.
I can't imagine how one would boot from the ROM card without creating
a new BIOS or BIOS extensions.  Once booted an installable device
driver could get access to the ROM device.

--
Peter Fales			AT&T, Room 5B-420
N9IYJ            		2000 N. Naperville Rd.