[comp.os.msdos.programmer] Loading device drivers from the command line

dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu (Duncan Murdoch) (10/23/90)

In article <1990Oct22.152744.20895@maytag.waterloo.edu> I wrote:

>Does anyone know of reasonably robust code to load device drivers from
>the command line?  The idea would be to copy the device driver file into
>memory, hook it into the list of drivers, and then terminate and stay resident,
>leaving only the driver in memory.
>The reason I'm looking for such a thing is to be able to load different sets
>of device drivers into different Desqview windows.  (No, neither of the ones
>above, but the ones I have in mind haven't been written yet.)

Thanks to those who responded.  It turns out that Desqview (version 2.26, at
least) comes with such a thing:  DEVICE.COM will load a character device
driver from the command line.  It's just barely mentioned in the documentation
as far as I can see, but works just the way you'd expect, even outside DV.

Only negative I can see so far is that tiny 300 byte device drivers take
up 1300 bytes when loaded this way.  Hardly worth losing sleep over!

Duncan Murdoch