[comp.os.msdos.programmer] RTlink or Plink

erikt@aragorn.cs.umu.se (09/27/90)

I'm looking for opinions about the above overlay linkers. If you have
used any of these, please let me know if you liked the product or not.

Can any, or both, of them handle overlays with pointers to functions?
The MSC linker doesn't handle this. Are they fast? (Compared to MS)

--
Erik Tarnvik              University of Umea
erikt@cs.umu.se           Dept. of Computing Science

rodman@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Steve Roderick) (09/29/90)

/ hpcvlx:comp.os.msdos.programmer / erikt@aragorn.cs.umu.se /  4:34 am  Sep 27, 1990 /
> I'm looking for opinions about the above overlay linkers. If you have
> used any of these, please let me know if you liked the product or not.
>
> Can any, or both, of them handle overlays with pointers to functions?
> The MSC linker doesn't handle this. Are they fast? (Compared to MS)

	I have used both of these. I was unable to get PLink86+/LTO to work well
	with our product. If you let LTO generate a link file it works but needs
	major revision to achieve acceptable performance. This is non-trivial!
	RTLink works great and does everything we wanted it too including pointers
	to functions. (both support pointers to functions). Unfortunately RTLink
	has absolutely the worst technical support I have ever dealt with. If the
	people on the phone can't help you they will get back to you (someday or
	maybe never!!) no joke! You will never talk to a technical person EVER!
	Once we came across a problem three days before we planned to ship. I
	explained this to them and they said the would call back promptly. They
	never called at all. You tend to end up solving your own problems. When
	I commented on this they got IRATE!
	Anyways flames aside it is the better product and we are currently using
	it. They have a new version coming out which supports Virtual Paging of
	Overlay Code and Data. (not memory space!) I'm a little unsure about how
	great this will work. We will see.....

	Performance is directly related to your overlay structure. Size of overlays,
	performance of disk, etc.

------
Stephen Roderick
rodman@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com
Pacific Crest Software
Corvallis OR

(I just call 'em as I see 'em)
-------

bright@nazgul.UUCP (Walter Bright) (10/24/90)

In article <1990Sep27.113453.20741@cs.umu.se> erikt@aragorn.cs.umu.se () writes:
<Can any, or both, of them handle overlays with pointers to functions?
<The MSC linker doesn't handle this. Are they fast? (Compared to MS)

I believe Plink does handle pointers to functions. Zortech's linker also
supports overlays (via the V memory model), and it does handle pointers
to functions (it must, in order to support virtual functions!).