[comp.os.msdos.programmer] MS/PC DOS 3.3 vs 4.?

frank@odetics.com (Frank Merrow) (10/15/90)

Hi - I have a quick question,

I have been running under the assumption that DOS 4.x is NOT the way to
go.  I guess someplace I heard that it is MUCH bigger than 3.3 and that
the "graphical interface" (is this COMMAND.COM?) is not that good.  In
scanning some other News I happened to notice that 4.x supports disc
partitions bigger than 32K.  IF THIS IS TRUE it is a VERY big plus.  Is
the shell really all that bad.  Does is really support partition bigger
than 32K?  Do you have to use this "graphical interface" or is there
something more like COMMAND.COM included also?  How does Windows 3.0 and
DOS 4.x get along.  How about utilities like Mace and Fastback - do they
have problems with the large partitions?  I assume that even though
the Hard Disc is a large partition that the standard floppies still
work too (even Microsoft would not dare screw up that bad).

Frank
frank@odetics.com

stever@Octopus.COM (Steve Resnick ) (10/15/90)

In article <1990Oct15.025303.6582@odetics.com> frank@odetics.UUCP (Frank Merrow) writes:
>Hi - I have a quick question,
>
>I have been running under the assumption that DOS 4.x is NOT the way to
>go.  I guess someplace I heard that it is MUCH bigger than 3.3 and that
>the "graphical interface" (is this COMMAND.COM?) is not that good.  In
>scanning some other News I happened to notice that 4.x supports disc
>partitions bigger than 32K.  IF THIS IS TRUE it is a VERY big plus.  Is
>the shell really all that bad.  Does is really support partition bigger
>than 32K?  Do you have to use this "graphical interface" or is there
>something more like COMMAND.COM included also?  How does Windows 3.0 and
>DOS 4.x get along.  How about utilities like Mace and Fastback - do they
>have problems with the large partitions?  I assume that even though
>the Hard Disc is a large partition that the standard floppies still
>work too (even Microsoft would not dare screw up that bad).

MS DOS 4.x is really not that bad. Yes, it is bigger than 3.3, but only
when you run on a machine w/o EMS memory. (I run a 386 with QEMM) When
you have EMS memory (the kludge that it is) you end up with more available
REAL memory for your programs. It also deals with large FAT partitions.
It is rumored that DOS 5.00 will support OS/2 style HPFS partitions, but
that's off the subject. The graphical "shell" is an add-on and not a
replacement for command.com. I don't know about Mace and Fastback, but Norton
utilities run fine. Personally, I have run into no problems running DOS 4
in the last 6 months.

My $.02 ....
Steve

steve.resnick@f105.n143.z1.FIDONET.ORG - or - apple!camphq!105!steve.resnick
Flames, grammar errors, spelling errrors >/dev/nul
The Asylum OS/2 BBS - (408)263-8017 IFNA 1:143/105.0

mikey@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca (Michael GALLOP) (10/16/90)

****
* frank@odetics.UUCP (Frank Merrow) did cause to be know:
*
>Hi - I have a quick question,
>
>I have been running under the assumption that DOS 4.x is NOT the way to
>go.  I guess someplace I heard that it is MUCH bigger than 3.3 and that
>the "graphical interface" (is this COMMAND.COM?) is not that good.  In

	The "graphical interface" is actually a shell program completely
different from COMMAND.COM It is called in the autoexec.bat file
and can be easily removed.

	Depends on what you mean by much bigger. (If memory serves me
correctly...) DOS 3.3 was ~700K in size. While 4.01 is somewhat larger,
on the order of 1.5 MB

>scanning some other News I happened to notice that 4.x supports disc
>partitions bigger than 32K.  IF THIS IS TRUE it is a VERY big plus.  Is
>the shell really all that bad.  Does is really support partition bigger
>than 32K?
Dos 1.0a supports discs bigger than 32K. 32K = 32768 bytes
The question is does DOS 4.0x support discs bigger than 32 MB as the
primary disc? The answer is an unequivocal yes. I run a 386 with a Large
hard drive. Using Dos 4.01 the primary partition is 135 MB.

>Do you have to use this "graphical interface" or is there
>something more like COMMAND.COM included also?
No, There is a command.com, see above.

>How does Windows 3.0 and
>DOS 4.x get along.
Great, almost like the same company made them :-)
This isn't to say there aren't problems-- Microsoft ought to have
shipped a Windows aware chkdsk with windows. I know I made that mistake
_Once_ (!)

>How about utilities like Mace and Fastback - do they
>have problems with the large partitions?  I assume that even though
>the Hard Disc is a large partition that the standard floppies still
>work too (even Microsoft would not dare screw up that bad).

Okay. MACE-1990 releases work. Fastback Plus 2.01 + works and Norton 4.5 +
All have no problem. Norton even ressurrected the hard drive after a fault
in the carbon based hardware (me! :-))

So DOS 4.01 isn't the best. There are bugs. I personally wouldn't run it on
anything with only 640k and a small (less than 40) Hard drive.
But get up to a 386 with 4-8 MB cache, 300 MB drive and other toys and I
think it's worth the extra 30K of conventional RAM taken....IMHO :-)
--
| mikey@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca |  Mike Gallop				   |
| "Stop that! It's silly... Now let's have some REAL military discipline!" |

rusbara2@sage.cc.purdue.edu (Bob Rusbasan) (10/16/90)

In article <1990Oct15.025303.6582@odetics.com> frank@odetics.UUCP (Frank Merrow) writes:
>I have been running under the assumption that DOS 4.x is NOT the way to
>go.  I guess someplace I heard that it is MUCH bigger than 3.3 and that
>the "graphical interface" (is this COMMAND.COM?) is not that good.  In
>scanning some other News I happened to notice that 4.x supports disc
>partitions bigger than 32K.

Normally I'd assume this was a typo, but since it appeared several other
times in the text I deleted and the poster also seemed worried about
floppies possibly being too big I think there's a little misunderstanding
here.

MS-DOS 3.3 supports partitions up to 32 MEGATBYTES.  Are bigger partitions
really a "big plus?"  For the average user, I'd actually say no.  It
seems people actually keep things better organized when they have to
divide it between different logical drives.  If they end up having, say
drives C: thru F: they'll group certain things on certain drives.  If
it's all one drive it often just becomes a big mess.

Also, you *can* use drivers larger than 32 M with no problem.  You just
have to partition it into smaller logical drives and DOS treats it as
several drives.

Sorry if this seems obvious and trivial...

Bob Rusbasan
bob@en.ecn.purdue.edu

srw@cci632.UUCP (Steve Windsor) (10/16/90)

Some thoughts on DOS 4.01 (Note, NOT DOS 4.00!):

Norton Utilities 4.5+ works with large partitions just fine.

Fastback Plus v2.01 - v2.10 work fine also.

Just leave out the DOS shell (Windows 3.0 does a much better job of it)

Yes, the command shell takes up more space, but not that much more...and
if you need that much memory, you should be exploring other options anyway.

Stephen Windsor srw@cci632.UUCP

steveha@microsoft.UUCP (Steve Hastings) (10/17/90)

In article <1990Oct15.025303.6582@odetics.com> frank@odetics.UUCP (Frank Merrow) writes:

>Does it really support partitions bigger than 32K?

Yes, it really does.  DOS 4.x uses a 16-bit FAT, so it can support very
large disks indeed.

>Is the shell really all that bad.

I can't stand it.

>Do you have to use this "graphical interface" or is there
>something more like COMMAND.COM included also?

The shell is optional.  You can just use COMMAND.COM and delete the shell.
I did.

>How does Windows 3.0 and DOS 4.x get along.  How about utilities like Mace
>and Fastback - do they have problems with the large partitions?

When 16-bit FATs first came out, there were many problems with programs like
Mace, Norton, and Fastback.  But current versions of such programs support
16-bit FATs.

Windows 3.0 and DOS 4.x work fine together.

>I assume that even though the Hard Disc is a large partition that the
>standard floppies still work too (even Microsoft would not dare screw up
>that bad).

The format of floppy disks is unchanged.

DOS 4.x takes up more memory than 3.x, but unless you use many TSRs or have
some other need for as much conventional memory as possible, this will
not matter much.  On a large hard disk, I would much rather use 4.x than
3.x since I cannot stand having a bunch of 32MB partitions.
--
Steve "I don't speak for Microsoft" Hastings    ===^=== :::::
uunet!microsoft!steveha  steveha@microsoft.uucp    ` \\==|

steveha@microsoft.UUCP (Steve Hastings) (10/18/90)

In article <58280@microsoft.UUCP> steveha@microsoft.UUCP (Steve Hastings) writes:
>DOS 4.x uses a 16-bit FAT, so it can support very large disks indeed.

Oops!  Back to school with me.  DOS 3.x had a 16-bit FAT, and still could
only have 32MB partitions.

The DOS internal "block number" was limited to 16 bits in DOS 3.x and was
the source of the 32MB limit (64k of sectors times 0.5k per sector = 32MB).
In DOS 4.x, that number is increased to 32 bits, allowing DOS to count up to
four billion sectors (an impractically large number).

Sorry about that, folks.  I bet the DOS developers are laughing at me now.
Anyway, if you are interested in the gory details of DOS, read the "Disk
Companion" chapter in the Norton Utilities 5.0 "Disk Explorer" manual.
--

lord@se-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Dave Lord) (10/18/90)

In article <1990Oct15.025303.6582@odetics.com> frank@odetics.UUCP (Frank Merrow) writes:
<I have been running under the assumption that DOS 4.x is NOT the way to
<go.  I guess someplace I heard that it is MUCH bigger than 3.3 and that
<the "graphical interface" (is this COMMAND.COM?) is not that good.  In

 Yes, it can be much bigger depending on what options you specify when
 you install it. I'd recomend using QEMM which will move parts of it to
 high memory. The "graphical interface" is a separate program that seems
 totally pointless to me.

<scanning some other News I happened to notice that 4.x supports disc
<partitions bigger than 32K.  IF THIS IS TRUE it is a VERY big plus.  Is

 Yes, that's why I use it.

<the shell really all that bad.  Does is really support partition bigger
<than 32K?  Do you have to use this "graphical interface" or is there
<something more like COMMAND.COM included also?  How does Windows 3.0 and
<DOS 4.x get along.  How about utilities like Mace and Fastback - do they

 Windows 3.0 runs fine. Fastback runs fine although I've heard that it
 won't run if you install DOS in "minimal" mode (which uses less memory).
 I haven't tried Mace. Oh and DESQview 2.3 works well.

<have problems with the large partitions?  I assume that even though
<the Hard Disc is a large partition that the standard floppies still
<work too (even Microsoft would not dare screw up that bad).

 I'd say that if you have a big system (> 1 meg and a big disk) then
 4.01 is the way to go.

 Oh, one problem, in 3.3 I could fool Solitaire Royal in to thinking
 that the master floppy was in drive a: (It's one of THOSE anti-copying
 schemes). In 4.01 I can't fool it anymore. I have to actually drag out
 the floppy to play the game. Needless to say, I don't play it much
 anymore.

unhd (Jonathan W Miner) (10/22/90)

I have run with DOS 4.01 for almost a year, and have had no problems.
My system includes 1M RAM, 1.2M floppy and a 40M (unpartitioned) Hard
Drive.

Jonathan Miner        | I don't speak for UNH, and UNH does not
jwm775@unhd.unh.edu   | speak for me!
(603)868-3416         | Rather be downhill skiing... or hacking...

jdg@neptune.sisd.kodak.com (Jeff Gortatowsky CUST) (10/24/90)

One thing I have not seen mentioned is Compaq's DOS 3.31.  I use it
and it also allows partitions > 32meg.  I mention this only because
it has the smaller kernel of DOS 3.x with the one real advantage
of DOS 4.x, larger partitions.

With a "clean" configuration I get a TPA of 582K.

--
Jeff Gortatowsky-Eastman Kodak Company     | UUCP  : ..uunet!sisd!jdg
Systems Integration & Software Development | Voice : (716)-726-0084 (EST/EDT)

ergo@netcom.UUCP (Isaac Rabinovitch) (10/26/90)

In <58280@microsoft.UUCP> steveha@microsoft.UUCP (Steve Hastings) writes:

>In article <1990Oct15.025303.6582@odetics.com> frank@odetics.UUCP (Frank Merrow) writes:

>>I assume that even though the Hard Disc is a large partition that the
>>standard floppies still work too (even Microsoft would not dare screw up
>>that bad).

>The format of floppy disks is unchanged.

That may well be, but I've had some trouble reading disks on 3.2 that
were formatted under 4.01.  It *might* be a hardware problem, but I
have to wonder what 3.2 makes of a 4.01 disk serial number.

--

ergo@netcom.uucp			Isaac Rabinovitch
{apple,amdahl,claris}!netcom!ergo	Silicon Valley, CA