[comp.os.msdos.programmer] Sprite ToolKit for PCs available at chyde.uwasa.fi

jka@niksula.hut.fi (Jari Petri Karjala) (10/25/90)

The Sprite ToolKit (STK) version 1.0 is available at the anonymous ftp
site chyde.uwasa.fi (128.214.12.3), file /pc/programming/stk100.lzh.

The Sprite Toolkit package provides many tools and functions for
constructing sprite graphics with IBM PC compatibles in Turbo C.
Here is a partial list of features:

- Sprites up to the size of 512x255 pixels and as many as fit in the
memory (utilizes the far heap for the shape data => small model is
big enough in most cases). Lowlevel bitblit routines optimized in
assembler.

- Sprites preserve the screen background as they move over it.

- Exact collision detection.

- Sprites can be animated and moved automatically.

- Solutions to most of the PC hardware "problems", for example
different graphics adapters, nasty good-for-business-bad-for-games
keyboard interface and different clock speeds.

- A mouse driven sprite editor included.

- StarMines, an arcade game which demonstrates the capabilities
of the Sprite Toolkit.

- EGA and Hercules displays supported, others may be added.

- FreeWare, source included.

--
/*    Jari Karjala    **  "Mathematics is a subject in which we never know  */
/* jka@niksula.hut.fi **    what we are talking about" -- Bertrand Russel   */

everett@hpcvra.CV.HP.COM (Everett Kaser) (10/26/90)

After downloading the sprite toolkit, I find myself unable to run any of the
demo programs.  I assume it's because I'm not "using" the .BGI drivers, and
I don't know how to, as I've never been a Borland customer.  Could someone
give me a clue as to how to get the EGAVGA.BGI driver "running", or "used",
so that I can check out this package?

Thanks!

Everett Kaser                   Hewlett-Packard Company
...hplabs!hp-pcd!everett        work: (503) 750-3569   Corvallis, Oregon
everett%hpcvra@hplabs.hp.com    home: (503) 928-5259   Albany, Oregon

jka@niksula.hut.fi (Jari Petri Karjala) (10/27/90)

In article <31600007@hpcvra.CV.HP.COM> everett@hpcvra.CV.HP.COM (Everett Kaser) writes:
> After downloading the sprite toolkit, I find myself unable to run any of the
> demo programs.  I assume it's because I'm not "using" the .BGI drivers, and
> I don't know how to, as I've never been a Borland customer.  Could someone
> give me a clue as to how to get the EGAVGA.BGI driver "running", or "used",
> so that I can check out this package?

	All you need is to have the EGAVGA.BGI file (assuming you
	have an EGA or a VGA card) in the same directory as the
	program you want to run. The EGAVGA.BGI is included in the STK
	archieve. You can also place the BGI drivers into another
	directory, if you define the environment variable BGIDIR to
	point into that directory, eg SET BGIDIR=C:\STK\DRIVERS.

	I did not link the drivers into the executables because
	it would have been a waste of space to duplicate them into all
	programs. Also the Turbo C users should have the BGI files
	already, so they can just set the BGIDIR variable.

--

everett@hpcvra.CV.HP.COM (Everett Kaser) (10/30/90)

jka@niksula.hut.fi (Jari Petri Karjala) writes...
> > everett@hpcvra.CV.HP.COM (Everett Kaser) writes:
> > After downloading the sprite toolkit, I find myself unable to run any of the
> > demo programs.  I assume it's because I'm not "using" the .BGI drivers, and
>
>	All you need is to have the EGAVGA.BGI file (assuming you
>	have an EGA or a VGA card) in the same directory as the
>	program you want to run. The EGAVGA.BGI is included in the STK
>--
>/*    Jari Karjala    **  "Mathematics is a subject in which we never know  */

That's kind of what I thought, and that's what I tried.  No go.  The VGA card
*appears* to be changing to graphics mode (that's that distinctive sight/sound/
feeling of the display changing modes, it goes black, the blinking cursor goes
away, all of which makes me think that it is in graphics mode) but nothing
ever appears on the display.  My VGA card is from Hewlett-Packard, which uses
the Paradise chip set.

Oh well.