[comp.os.msdos.programmer] TSR Install: Int 27h or Int 21h,Fcn 31h ?

sonny@charybdis.harris-atd.com (Bob Davis) (10/30/90)

	Stuff I read says that Int 27h for installing a TSR
should be considered obsolete and should not be used. Says
use DOS Int 21h, Fcn 31h instead.

	Yet every TSR I look at uses Int 27h to go resident.

	For me, Int 27 works fine. With DOS 3.3, Int 21,Fcn 31
does not work. Kokkonen's Mark/Release mapmem command shows
the TSR resident after the Int 21, but the specified interrupt
is not shown as hooked by the TSR. And the TSR is not functional.

	What gives? My BIOS should not matter, should it? I have
a BIOS dated sometime in 1985: November, I think.

	Thanks.
Bob Davis, UofALA'66   \\ INTERNET : sonny@trantor.harris-atd.com  |  _   _  |
Harris Corporation, ESS \\    UUCP : ...!uunet!x102a!trantor!sonny |_| |_| | |
Advanced Technology Dept.\\ AETHER : K4VNO          |==============|_/\/\/\|_|
PO Box 37, MS 3A/1912     \\ VOICE : (407) 727-5886 | I SPEAK ONLY | |_| |_| |
Melbourne, FL 32902        \\  FAX : (407) 729-2537 | FOR MYSELF.  |_________|

stever@Octopus.COM (Steve Resnick ) (10/31/90)

In article <4684@trantor.harris-atd.com> sonny@trantor.harris-atd.com (Bob Davis) writes:

>	Stuff I read says that Int 27h for installing a TSR
>should be considered obsolete and should not be used. Says
>use DOS Int 21h, Fcn 31h instead.
>
>	Yet every TSR I look at uses Int 27h to go resident.
>
>	For me, Int 27 works fine. With DOS 3.3, Int 21,Fcn 31
>does not work. Kokkonen's Mark/Release mapmem command shows
>the TSR resident after the Int 21, but the specified interrupt
>is not shown as hooked by the TSR. And the TSR is not functional.

I just wrote a background serial driver (runs while DOS is doing other things)
which is tied to int's 8, 0b, 0c, and 60H. It's installed using Fcn 31
(so that it may be uninstalled later on). It works well. With no problems.
This is under MS-DOS 3.3, the program was written using TASM 1.0.
I cannot post source as it is proprietary, but if the need still exists, I
can try to come up with a scaled down version. Just let me know via mail...

Hope this helps....
Steve

steve.resnick@f105.n143.z1.FIDONET.ORG - or - apple!camphq!105!steve.resnick
Flames, grammar errors, spelling errrors >/dev/nul
The Asylum OS/2 BBS - (408)263-8017 IFNA 1:143/105.0