[comp.os.msdos.programmer] Format of Bitmaps Wanted

tow@cat3.cs.wisc.edu (Ronald Wong) (10/30/90)

For certain mistake, I post the old news in usa only.  So I repost this news
again.

Does anyone know the format of bitmap file (used by Window 3.0 as wall paper)?
I need that because I want to write a program to convert a `gif' file to
`bmp' file.

Thanks in advance.

Ronald Wong  (tow@garfield.cs.wisc.edu)

einari@rhi.hi.is (Einar Indridason) (10/31/90)

In article <1990Oct30.065315.16735@daffy.cs.wisc.edu> tow@cat3.cs.wisc.edu (Ronald Wong) writes:
>For certain mistake, I post the old news in usa only.  So I repost this news
>again.
>
>Does anyone know the format of bitmap file (used by Window 3.0 as wall paper)?
>I need that because I want to write a program to convert a `gif' file to
>`bmp' file.

I have constructed a 'C' program and a file to display three character's
sets matrixes.  IBM's codepage 850, IBM's codepage 861, ISO 8859/1
(Note: only the upper half of those character sets is displayed)

Why?  To show the world what the icelandic characters look like, and to
try to get my meaning to programmers around the world:
DON'T MASK THE 8th BIT.

This file and 'C' is available from me.  For further info:

Internet: einari@rhi.hi.is        |   "Just give me my command line and throw
UUCP: ..!mcsun!isgate!rhi!einari  |   the GUIs in the waste basket!!!!"

General Surgeons warning:  Masking the 8th bit can seriously damage your brain!!