[comp.os.msdos.programmer] Problems witTC++ & TD

edgincd2@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Kevin C. Smallwood) (11/05/90)

I started trying to learn assembly language this weekend, since I recently
purchased TC++ pro pack, and ran into a few quirks or problems that I thought
somebody might be able to help me out with.  First of all, whenever I get
into Turbo Debugger, either with TD or TD386 [I have a 386sx], the Get
Info selection on the file menu reports that the program I am debugging is
using all of the available memory.  I was trying to debug a simple assembly
language program that ran fine, I was just stepping through it and watching
the stack and cpu registers and how different instructions affected them and
I did something and it said not enough memory.  So I check the get info and
it said my program was taking up 251K.   So I thought maybe I declared
something wrong in my assembly program, so I tried both a simple pascal
program and a simple c program, and both of these also used up all of the
memory.  I this a bug or a feature???  I have 1 meg extended memory.
Also, whenever I get into TC++, right when I push the TAB key, a star pops
up in the bottom left hand corner of the border of the window I am working
on.  It doesn't seem to have affected my programs, but it is annoying and
obviously something must be wrong or it wouldn't be happening.

Thanks for your help,
Chris Edgington

dfoster@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Derek R. Foster) (11/06/90)

In article <16107@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> edgincd2@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Kevin C. Smallwood) writes:
>Also, whenever I get into TC++, right when I push the TAB key, a star pops
>up in the bottom left hand corner of the border of the window I am working
>on.  It doesn't seem to have affected my programs, but it is annoying and
>obviously something must be wrong or it wouldn't be happening.

There's nothing wrong. The star is simply a reminder that the file in that
window has been modified, and that the version in memory is now different
than the corresponding version on disk. If the star annoys you, the obvious
solution would be to save your file. Of course it will reappear the moment
you make any changes...

Hope this helps!
Derek Riippa Foster