[comp.os.msdos.programmer] Off-the-Shelf Windowing Libraries

jdunn@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Jeff Dunn) (11/07/90)

Does anybody out there have experience with commercially available
windowing libraries?  That is, libraries that help create stand-alone
GUI applications running on a PC under MS-DOS.

In particular, I have looked at:

    product        vendor
    -------------  -------------------------
    graphics-MENU  Island Systems
    Zinc           Zinc Software (brand new)
    GUIDO          South Mountain Software
    C-scape        Oakland Group, Inc.

I need to keep the size of the executable down, and I would be willing to
sacrifice some functionality to do so.  I'd appreciate any comments
from anybody who has used (or knows somebody who has) any of these or other
products.  A major concern is reliability - I don't want to be spending time
tracking down bugs in the graphical system.

Thanks much.
replies to: jdunn@polyslo.calpoly.edu  (same as a reply to this post)

--

                                 TALK HARD

dougs@videovax.tv.tek.com (Doug Stevens) (11/08/90)

In article <273747e5.530e@petunia.CalPoly.EDU>, jdunn@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Jeff Dunn) writes:
> Does anybody out there have experience with commercially available
> windowing libraries?  ...

I'm also interested. It's worth ordering demo versions of the tools.
I have these demos:

	Demo	Size	Tool			Company
	----	----	----			-------
	mndemo	278K	Menuet 			Ithaca Street Software
	demo	210K	Zinc Interface Library	Zinc Software, Inc.
	rundemo	164K	graphics-MENU		Island Systems

(Size is disk space, not necessarily related to run-time RAM requirements).
Impressions based on the demos ALONE:

	Menuet seems very full-featured, with many (many, many, ...)
	library functions (nice to have a comprehensive listing of
	the functions in the demo package). Coming up to speed on this
	would take a while, but most of what I would want in a library
	was there.

	graphics-MENU seemed more specialized and less flexible.

	Zinc is C++ based (indeed, it inherits from the Turbo-C++
	classes), and seems very well thought out (they include
	an overview of the class library and member functions). I
	would anticipate code space would be high relative to
	functionality for small projects (because of inheritance
	from the base classes), and low relative to functionality
	for large projects.

Again, all this is based on seeing the demos (which, however, is better
than simply examining the promotional materials). I would like to hear
from someone who has actually used these products for development.