[comp.os.msdos.programmer] Wanted: information on how to pipe stuff into command.com

ado@elsie.nci.nih.gov (Arthur David Olson) (11/09/90)

If, on a true-blue IBM PC-AT running DOS 3.3, I type in the commands
	echo dir > input
	more < input | command
the system produces the requested directory listing, but then locks up.
If you know a way of avoiding the lockup, I'd appreciate hearing from you
by electronic mail.

(In real life, the goal is run a program that generates DOS commands on
the fly, then execute the commands.  While
	generate > $$$$$$$$.bat
	command /c $$$$$$$$
	del $$$$$$$$.bat
does the job, I'd like to be able to
	generate | command
--
		Arthur David Olson	ado@elsie.nci.nih.gov
		ADO and Elsie are Ampex and Borden trademarks

jal@acc (John Lauro) (11/09/90)

In article <90374@elsie.nci.nih.gov> ado@elsie.nci.nih.gov (Arthur David Olson) writes:
>If, on a true-blue IBM PC-AT running DOS 3.3, I type in the commands
>	echo dir > input
>	more < input | command
>the system produces the requested directory listing, but then locks up.
>If you know a way of avoiding the lockup, I'd appreciate hearing from you
>by electronic mail.

If you are writing the program that generates the commands, the
following should be a reasonable work around:
   put an exit at the end.
echo dir >input
echo exit >>input
type input | command

Note: You wouldn't want to use more anyways incase you had a screen
full...

   - John_Lauro@ub.cc.umich.edu