[comp.os.msdos.programmer] Source for Borland Turbo C, C++ Libraries

REIDMP@MAINE.BITNET (11/03/90)

Is it possible to get source from Borland for their C/C++ libraries?
Many companies supply source, or sell it separately, but I've never
seen even a mention of it in Borland advertising or documentation.
I've seen a few mail-order houses selling a 'Turbo Developers Library'.
Is this the library source, or is it something else?

thanx in advance,
  Reid M. Pinchback

rhys@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au (Rhys Weatherley) (11/04/90)

REIDMP@MAINE.BITNET writes:

>Is it possible to get source from Borland for their C/C++ libraries?
>Many companies supply source, or sell it separately, but I've never
>seen even a mention of it in Borland advertising or documentation.
>I've seen a few mail-order houses selling a 'Turbo Developers Library'.
>Is this the library source, or is it something else?

Borland does sell the run-time library.  An order form for it should
be in the box you received your copy of Turbo C/C++ in (assuming of
course you have a legal copy :-).

There is a "no-nonsense" license agreement you have to sign, as well as
parting with $150.00 of your hard-earned cash (I think this is US
dollars).

Rhys.

+===============================+==============================+
||  Rhys Weatherley             |  University of Queensland,  ||
||  rhys@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au  |  Australia.  G'day!!        ||
+===============================+==============================+

jws@hpfcso.HP.COM (John Schmidt) (11/04/90)

If you get a "legal" copy of TC (i.e., buy it off the shelf) there is
a card included to order library source code.  It's not free.
(Sorry, don't have the card handy right now.)

6600m00n@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Steelworker) (11/04/90)

In article <90306.213549REIDMP@MAINE.BITNET> REIDMP@MAINE.BITNET writes:

   Is it possible to get source from Borland for their C/C++ libraries?
   Many companies supply source, or sell it separately, but I've never
   seen even a mention of it in Borland advertising or documentation.
   I've seen a few mail-order houses selling a 'Turbo Developers Library'.
   Is this the library source, or is it something else?

   thanx in advance,
     Reid M. Pinchback

Yes.  Amonst the prolific documentation included in the Turbo C
Package is request for library source.  It might be cheaper to get  it
from a mail-order house.  Search, and ye shall find.
Rob Blair

psycho@mango.ucsb.edu (Scot Kellan Forbes) (11/09/90)

In article <5534@uqcspe.cs.uq.oz.au> rhys@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au writes:
>REIDMP@MAINE.BITNET writes:
>
>>Is it possible to get source from Borland for their C/C++ libraries?
>>Many companies supply source, or sell it separately, but I've never
>>seen even a mention of it in Borland advertising or documentation.
>>I've seen a few mail-order houses selling a 'Turbo Developers Library'.
>>Is this the library source, or is it something else?

Is there a font editor available for the Turbo C/C++ graphics library
(preferably PD) with which you can create new .chr files?  If not,
does anyone know the format for these files or where it is documented?

Please e-mail replies, I'll post a summary if requested.
Thanx in advance for any information!

Scot Forbes

anto@vaxb.acs.unt.edu (11/11/90)

In article <7049@hub.ucsb.edu>,
psycho@mango.ucsb.edu (Scot Kellan Forbes) writes:
> Is there a font editor available for the Turbo C/C++ graphics library
> (preferably PD) with which you can create new .chr files?  If not,
> does anyone know the format for these files or where it is documented?

[ Several tries to reply by E-mail failed, so here goes...]

On Simtel20 and wuarchive.wustl.edu under pd1:<msdos.borland> there are 2
files: BGIDRIV.ARC and BGIFONT.ARC.  The first one contains the description
of BGI file format.  The second one contains a font file (CHR) editor and (I
believe) the description of the CHR file format.

Hope this helps,
Anto.