[comp.os.msdos.programmer] C compiler for multitasking?

leeda@cpsin3.cps.msu.edu (Dae Hee Lee) (11/06/90)

Hello!
I am interested in developing a multitasking program on 386 machine.
I could not find a C compiler to support it.
Is there anyone who can help me find it?

Thank you.

Daehee

lsalomo@hubcap.clemson.edu (lsalomo) (11/07/90)

From article <1990Nov6.023219.18942@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu>, by leeda@cpsin3.cps.msu.edu (Dae Hee Lee):
> Hello!
> I am interested in developing a multitasking program on 386 machine.
> I could not find a C compiler to support it.
> Is there anyone who can help me find it?

If you're developing under DOS (I presume you are), there is a C compiler
(Zortech, I believe) which contains a "beginthread"-like function.  The run-
time library contains its own scheduler, which ran pretty impressively.  Also
included (I was told by my colleague as he demo'd it to me) that a dynamic-
linker is included also.

The great thing is that it runs on any 8086 machine (a 386 is NOT required).
Of course, the other two alternatives are to write your own scheduler, or
to use OS/2 for your OS.

Cheers,
Q - the "Q"uestor for knowledge (, a degree, etc.)

lsalomo@hubcap.clemson.edu
ibmman@clemson.clemson.edu
"Gee Wally, I think there's something wrong with the Beaver."

david@csource.oz.au (david nugent) (11/08/90)

In <11414@hubcap.clemson.edu> lsalomo@hubcap.clemson.edu (lsalomo) writes:

> From article <1990Nov6.023219.18942@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu>, by leeda@cpsin3.cps.msu.edu (Dae Hee Lee):
>
> > I am interested in developing a multitasking program on 386 machine.
> > I could not find a C compiler to support it.
> > Is there anyone who can help me find it?

> If you're developing under DOS (I presume you are), there is a C compiler
> (Zortech, I believe) which contains a "beginthread"-like function.  The run-
> time library contains its own scheduler, which ran pretty impressively.  Also
> included (I was told by my colleague as he demo'd it to me) that a dynamic-
> linker is included also.

JPI's TopSpeed C also features this type of multitasking.  In fact, it's
implemented in a way which is compatible with OS/2 - they also produce an
OS/2 product.

Amongst other things, it has an _excellent_ optimiser and the ability to
link .DLLs, even under MS-DOS.

--
        Fidonet: 3:632/348   SIGnet: 28:4100/1  Imex: 90:833/387
              Data:  +61-3-885-7864   Voice: +61-3-826-6711
 Internet/ACSnet: david@csource.oz.au    Uucp: ..!uunet!munnari!csource!david

so@brownie.cs.wisc.edu (Bryan S. So) (11/15/90)

In article <11414@hubcap.clemson.edu> lsalomo@hubcap.clemson.edu (lsalomo) writes:

>From article <1990Nov6.023219.18942@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu>, by leeda@cpsin3.cps.msu.edu (Dae Hee Lee):
>> I am interested in developing a multitasking program on 386 machine.
>> I could not find a C compiler to support it.
>> Is there anyone who can help me find it?

>If you're developing under DOS (I presume you are), there is a C compiler
>(Zortech, I believe) which contains a "beginthread"-like function.  The run-
>time library contains its own scheduler, which ran pretty impressively.  Also

I know the TopSpeed C Compiler (DOS Standard edition) by
Jensen & Partners International also has a "multithread
model" that can be used to write multitasking programs
under MS-DOS in 8086.

Bryan So