[comp.os.msdos.programmer] Code for Serial port & Intr-driven Output

so@brownie.cs.wisc.edu (Bryan S. So) (11/18/90)

>In article <13711@june.cs.washington.edu>,
>chou@june.cs.washington.edu (Pai Chou) writes:
>> Hi, I am porting a terminal emulator to the PC, but
>> I don't have much previous experience with the PC.
>> I am not sure how to access the serial port.
>>
>> How do you
>>
>>  - reset, set baud rate, parity, etc
>>  - find how how many bytes there are left to be read
>>  - how to read/write the serial port.
>>
>> I am doing this in Turbo Pascal.  If you have a small
>> sample code that you can share, please send it to me.

   The SIMTEL archive also has a few serial communication routines
   such as c/asynpec and turbo-c/tasync.  They are written in C.
   I believe there must be comparable routines in the pascal dir.
   Or else, it won't be too difficult to translate the C routines
   into TP.

   You can email me for more information.

In article <1990Nov14.053346.989@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> hd7x@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
>PC Magazine had a good sample program called DOSTERM that covered all the
>necessary functions (except interrupt driven output, which isn't essential).  I
>believe it was Vol 8, No. 16 and can be found on Simtel.  It's commented
>assembler source code that helped me quite a bit.
>-Sanjay Aiyagari (hd7x@vax5.cit.cornell.edu)

   Talking about interrupt-driven output, I know it isn't essential,
   but I wasn't able to get it work on a modem called ZOOM.  The
   "tasync" package mentioned above makes use of interrupt-driven
   output, it works on all other modems I have tested but not in
   ZOOM.  Anybody else has the same problem?  Or just the specific
   ZOOM I have tested is bogus?

   Bryan So