[comp.os.msdos.programmer] loadhi for 286?

cyj9h@hudson.acc.Virginia.EDU (che' m.c.) (11/11/90)

Hi!

A perhaps common question:

Does anyone know offhand of any programs (commercial/shareware) that
will load TSRs into memory above 640k on a 286 machine?  I know this
can be done with something like QEMM for 386 machines.  Also, can
anybody here tell me if Desqview is worthwhile on a 286?

thanks!

peace,

-charles
cyj9h@virginia.edu

jc58+@andrew.cmu.edu (Johnny J. Chin) (11/13/90)

Charles writes:
>Does anyone know offhand of any programs (commercial/shareware) that
>will load TSRs into memory above 640k on a 286 machine?  I know this
>can be done with something like QEMM for 386 machines.  Also, can
>anybody here tell me if Desqview is worthwhile on a 286?

There is a program by Quarterdeck called QRAM which works on 286s.  It has
something similar to the LOADHI in QEMM-386.  As for DesqView, I can't comment
since I haven't used the lateset version.

      __________                                          ___
     /          \                                    /   /    /_/ / /\/
    _/  /   /   /                                 __/.  /__  / / / / /
   /     /     / "Happy Computing ..."
  /           /                        Internet: Johnny.J.Chin@andrew.cmu.edu
 /  -------  /  4730 Centre Ave. #412  BITnet:   jc58@andrew
 \__________/   Pittsburgh, PA  15213  UUCP:    ...!uunet!andrew.cmu.edu!jc58
  Computer Dr.
                          Carnegie Mellon University

 "If you don't like having backups ... try driving without your spare tire."
Disclaimer:     The views expressed herein are STRICTLY my own, and not CMU's.

valley@uchicago (Doug Dougherty) (11/20/90)

cyj9h@hudson.acc.Virginia.EDU (che' m.c.) writes:

>Hi!

>A perhaps common question:

>Does anyone know offhand of any programs (commercial/shareware) that
>will load TSRs into memory above 640k on a 286 machine?  I know this
>can be done with something like QEMM for 386 machines.  Also, can
>anybody here tell me if Desqview is worthwhile on a 286?

>thanks!

>peace,

>-charles
>cyj9h@virginia.edu

Try HEADROOM from Helix Software.  It's great!

jgb1@ra.MsState.Edu (John G. Burrell) (11/21/90)

In <valley.659043118@gsbsun> valley@uchicago (Doug Dougherty) writes:

>cyj9h@hudson.acc.Virginia.EDU (che' m.c.) writes:

>>Hi!

>>A perhaps common question:

>>Does anyone know offhand of any programs (commercial/shareware) that
>>will load TSRs into memory above 640k on a 286 machine?  I know this
>>can be done with something like QEMM for 386 machines.  Also, can
>>anybody here tell me if Desqview is worthwhile on a 286?

>>thanks!

>>peace,

>>-charles
>>cyj9h@virginia.edu

>Try HEADROOM from Helix Software.  It's great!

Quarterdeck (makers of QEMM) also makes QRAM (pronounced CRAM) for 808x and
80x86 machines.  Your upper memory must be HARDWARE compatible with the
LIM 4.0 specs. Most of the later 286's are (DTK for example).  QRAM works
identical to QEMM and I even ran it on an 386sx until QEMM came in....

Another note: QEMM and QRAM have a switch 'NOEMS' which will not allow it
to allocate expanded memory and therefore not allocate the 64k page frame.
If your like me, I want the most that 1st meg and don't usually really need
extended or expanded memory.

Jay