[comp.os.msdos.programmer] xcopy /s fails

TOMIII@MTUS5.BITNET (Thomas Dwyer III) (11/20/90)

Suppose you have the following directory tree:

   \---+---DIR1---+---DIR2
       |          |
       |          +---DIR3

       +---DIR4

DIR2 and DIR3 have their R/O bits set.  Why does XCOPY fail to recurse with
the command line "XCOPY \DIR1 \DIR4 /S" ?

Thanks,
Thomas Dwyer III                        Email: tomiii@mtu.edu
Network Programmer                             tomiii@mtus5.BITNET
Computing Technology Services           Voice: (906) 487-2110
Michigan Technological University       Fax:   (906) 487-2787

tcs@router.jhuapl.edu (11/21/90)

In article <90324.035212TOMIII@MTUS5.BITNET>, TOMIII@MTUS5.BITNET (Thomas Dwyer III) writes:
>Suppose you have the following directory tree:
>
>   \---+---DIR1---+---DIR2
>       |          |
>       |          +---DIR3
>       +---DIR4
>

>DIR2 and DIR3 have their R/O bits set.  Why does XCOPY fail to recurse with
>the command line "XCOPY \DIR1 \DIR4 /S" ?
>

>Thanks,
>Thomas Dwyer III                        Email: tomiii@mtu.edu
>Network Programmer                             tomiii@mtus5.BITNET
>Computing Technology Services           Voice: (906) 487-2110
>Michigan Technological University       Fax:   (906) 487-2787

What do you get? I think what's happening is XCopy is "XCopy <Src> <Dest>
<Options>". You can do an XCopy \ and it should work.

Carl Schelin
tcs@router.jhuapl.edu

bosch@cs.utwente.nl (J. Christian A. Peper) (11/22/90)

TOMIII@MTUS5.BITNET (Thomas Dwyer III) writes:
[tree deleted...]
>DIR2 and DIR3 have their R/O bits set.  Why does XCOPY fail to recurse with
>the command line "XCOPY \DIR1 \DIR4 /S" ?

When I want to xcopy a dir like that I never specify the internal dirs, I
only specify the root of however many dirs are underneath it.
So e.g.:

temp ----- tmp1
 |	    |
 | 	    dir1
 | 	    |
 | 	    dir2

 etc.etc

 I only tell xcopy about the \temp dir. That usually works, and I've moved
 VERY big dirs this way....ca. 10 subdirs etc...!

 Good luck,

 Chris.
--
Christian Peper			| The speed of light...If not instantaneous,
bosch@utis15.cs.utwente.nl	| it is incredibly fast! - Gallileo