[comp.os.msdos.programmer] CodeView and Quick C

jmann@angmar.sw.stratus.com (Jim Mann) (11/14/90)

Microsoft seems to be making a nice effort to make Quick C more competitive
with Turbo C.  Quick C owners upgrading to 2.5 can purchase CodeView for
$35.

Since I've seen at least one catalog that sells Quick C plus Assembler for
under $70, this means you can get a "Quick C Professional"  (to steal
Boreland's terminolgy) for about $50-$70 less than Turbo C Professional.

Jim Mann
Stratus Computer
jim_mann@es.stratus.com

lsalomo@hubcap.clemson.edu (lsalomo) (11/14/90)

From article <3079@lectroid.sw.stratus.com>, by jmann@angmar.sw.stratus.com (Jim Mann):
> Microsoft seems to be making a nice effort to make Quick C more competitive
> with Turbo C.  Quick C owners upgrading to 2.5 can purchase CodeView for
> $35.
>
> Since I've seen at least one catalog that sells Quick C plus Assembler for
> under $70, this means you can get a "Quick C Professional"  (to steal
> Boreland's terminolgy) for about $50-$70 less than Turbo C Professional.
>

> Jim Mann
> Stratus Computer
> jim_mann@es.stratus.com

Competitive price-wise...How do they compare performance-wise, and in the
user-interface, where it counts?

Cheers,
Q - the "Q"uestor for knowledge (, a degree, etc.)

lsalomo@hubcap.clemson.edu
ibmman@clemson.clemson.edu
"Gee Wally, I think there's something wrong with the Beaver."

jmann@angmar.sw.stratus.com (Jim Mann) (11/15/90)

In article <11607@hubcap.clemson.edu>, lsalomo@hubcap.clemson.edu
(lsalomo) writes:
|>From article <3079@lectroid.sw.stratus.com>, by
jmann@angmar.sw.stratus.com (Jim Mann):
|>> Since I've seen at least one catalog that sells Quick C plus Assembler for
|>> under $70, this means you can get a "Quick C Professional"  (to steal
|>> Boreland's terminolgy) for about $50-$70 less than Turbo C Professional.
|>
|>Competitive price-wise...How do they compare performance-wise, and in the
|>user-interface, where it counts?

I prefer the Quick C interface to the Turbo C 2.0 interface.  It supports
the mouse, editing is much easier, help is much easier and much more useful,
and you can compile, link, etc. easily. The integration of assembler into
2.5 seems much nicer than Turbo Assembler, which is strictly a command line
assembler.

As for performance, I've seen QC/TC comparisons and the results are mixed.
QC produces faster code for some things, TC for others.

Jim Mann
Stratus Computer
jim_mann@es.stratus.com

ghenniga@nmsu.edu (Gary Hennigan) (11/15/90)

In an article jmann@angmar.sw.stratus.com (Jim Mann) writes:
>I prefer the Quick C interface to the Turbo C 2.0 interface.  It supports
>the mouse, editing is much easier, help is much easier and much more useful,
>and you can compile, link, etc. easily. The integration of assembler into
>2.5 seems much nicer than Turbo Assembler, which is strictly a command line
>assembler.
>
>As for performance, I've seen QC/TC comparisons and the results are mixed.
>QC produces faster code for some things, TC for others.

   I just got TC++ 1.0 and their IDE (Integrated Debugging
Environment?) is extremely nice. It too provides mouse support and it
has the ability to step or trace through your code with much the same
features as the debugger, eg., watching variables, setting
breakpoints, etc., without leaving the TC++ environment. It also gives
you the option of going to Turbo Debugger for better control over
debugging and mixed module programs.

   Also, using "projects", you can edit, compile, and link with other
modules such as Turbo Assembler, and yes it has a windows-like
environment so that multiple files can be edited, a file in each
window with the ability to tile and so forth.

   Lastly, the "professional" products come with a profiler which, if
you're going to try and squeeze as much as possible out of your code,
is invaluable.

   I don't have any affiliation with Borland so I say this from a
user's point of view, Borland always seems to be just one step
ahead of MS in whatever they do. One good example of this is that
their assembler doesn't have a lot of the bugs associated with MSASM
and they have a set of simplified segement directives that make it
much easier to interface assembler and C. The last thing that Borland
gives you that is nice is that their debugger comes with a utility to
allow you to convert CODEVIEW debugging info to theirs, so you can
debug MS stuff with their product. Good thinking and marketing!

Just my two cents,
--
Gary Hennigan
+  e-mail: ghenniga@NMSU.Edu, henninsf@maxwel.NMSU.Edu                      +

miller@b-mrda.ca.boeing.com (Mark Miller) (11/20/90)

You may want to try the Turbo C++ Integrated Development Environment.
It supports mouse, multiple overlapping windows, running external programs
from within the IDE, and numerous other features that ease programming.
It also links seamlessly with the full blown Turbo Debugger, which (IMHO)
blows the socks off CodeView. I use TD's "remote debug" feature to debug
another computer over a serial link. This is a feature I didn't even see
in the Codeview that came with MSC 5.1 (Maybe included in 6.0?) I also
prefer the TC++ options setup to those in QuickC and MSC 5.1. In TC++
you can use all memory models and set up all options from the menu
structure. QuickC, as I recall, does not address all memory models from
the integrated environment.

Mark R. Miller                     |
Boeing Commercial Airplane Company |
Seattle, WA                        |
Internet: miller@b-mrda.boeing.com |
Voicenet: (206) 237-0960           |
Opinions expressed here do not necessarily reflect those of my employer.

mallsop@sunc.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Mark Allsop) (11/21/90)

In article <11607@hubcap.clemson.edu> lsalomo@hubcap.clemson.edu (lsalomo) writes:
>From article <3079@lectroid.sw.stratus.com>, by jmann@angmar.sw.stratus.com (Jim Mann):
>> Microsoft seems to be making a nice effort to make Quick C more competitive
>> with Turbo C.  Quick C owners upgrading to 2.5 can purchase CodeView for
>> $35.
>>

>Competitive price-wise...How do they compare performance-wise, and in the
>user-interface, where it counts?

The version of Quick-C I used about a month ago insisted on medium memory
model only only only.  Has this been lifted?  Also, setting up the environment
was incredibly difficult.  Have Microsoft improved that at all?

Unless these problems (which are only the ones I remember off the top of my
head- there were more) have been fixed, I don't think Turbo-C and Quick-C can
be compared.  Quick-C just does not compete.  It is still in the starting gate
while Turbo has finished the race, had a shower, gone home and started dinner.

Cheers,
-Mark.
| Mark Allsop                                              Computer Scientist |
| email: mallsop@suna.mqcc.mq.oz.au                The Statistical Laboratory |
| Phone: At MacUni: (61 2) 805-8592           Macquarie University, Australia |
| Fax  :          : (61 2) 805-7433           / \                             |
|                                              |   This one goes up to 11.....|
| "Laughter is the closest distance between two people."                      |
|		-- Victor Borge                                               |

jmann@angmar.sw.stratus.com (Jim Mann) (11/22/90)

In article <793@macuni.mqcc.mq.oz>, mallsop@sunc.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Mark
Allsop) writes:
|>The version of Quick-C I used about a month ago insisted on medium memory
|>model only only only.  Has this been lifted?  Also, setting up the
environment
|>was incredibly difficult.  Have Microsoft improved that at all?
Yep. As of 2.0 (which came out over a year ago now) you were able to
specify which memory model you wanted.

I've had no trouble setting up the environment. It seemed simple. I don't
know how they did it in release 1, so I have no basis for saying it is
"easier" though I'd guess that it is.

|>Unless these problems (which are only the ones I remember off the top of my
|>head- there were more) have been fixed, I don't think Turbo-C and Quick-C can
|>be compared.  Quick-C just does not compete.  It is still in the
starting gate
|>while Turbo has finished the race, had a shower, gone home and started
dinner.

There are several places where QC is ahead however. The integration of
assembler
into 2.5 is much cleaner than what I saw with TASM, for example.

Jim Mann
Stratus Computer
jim_mann@es.stratus.com

In article <11607@hubcap.clemson.edu> lsalomo@hubcap.clemson.edu (lsalomo) writes:

| Competitive price-wise...How do they compare performance-wise, and in the
| user-interface, where it counts?

  I like the Codeview debugger environment, although I don't (have to)
use it much. Haven't tried TC in a while, the old version was not a good
fit with the way I want to debug. You may love it.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX