[comp.os.msdos.programmer] RCS port to MSDOS

steve@Pkg.Mcc.COM (Steve Madere) (11/15/90)

I was working on a port of RCS (revision control system) to
MS-DOS when it occurred to me that maybe someone had already
done this.  I checked the GNUish msdos archive and found the
following message in the README fileREADME for the GNUish MS-DOS project.

>The following GNU tools have already been ported to DOS, and will be
>added later in the GNUish MS-DOS subdirectory:

>	bison chess compress ctags gawk perl rcs readline

Does anyone know where I can find this port of RCS to msdos?
If it is not yet available, is there any timetable for it's release?

I am pretty close to completing my port but it has some major
kludges in it.  Files that are checked-in can have no more than one
character in the extension (to make room for the ,v).
The user name and uid problems are nowhere near solved.  For the moment
I have hard-coded my name and the number 1 into the program as the
user name and uid.  I can of course change this to prompting the
user for the value or checking an environment variable but I would
prefer to just get somebody else's port if it already exists.
No use re-inventing the wheel when it comes to GNU software.

Also, does anyone know why this should fail in Turbo C. Version 2.0?

creat(".\-test.c",000)

It is being used to create a locking semaphore for the file test.c
and it keeps failing.

lbr@holos0.uucp (Len Reed) (11/17/90)

In article <1990Nov14.140421@Pkg.Mcc.COM> steve@Pkg.Mcc.COM (Steve Madere) writes:
>I was working on a port of RCS (revision control system) to
>MS-DOS when it occurred to me that maybe someone had already
>done this.

It was posted a while back to comp.binaries.ibm.pc.  It's not as code
as the MKS RCS port, but it cheaper. :-)

>I am pretty close to completing my port but it has some major
>kludges in it.  Files that are checked-in can have no more than one
>character in the extension (to make room for the ,v).

Both DOS RCS versions I've seen drop the ,v (which DOS won't allow
anyway) and insist that the rcs file be in the RCS subdirectory.

>Also, does anyone know why this should fail in Turbo C. Version 2.0?

>creat(".\-test.c",000)

Don't know if files can start with -.  You need to double the backslash
inside "" or use a forward slash.  You don't need a lock under DOS,
anyway, do you?
--
Len Reed
Holos Software, Inc.

In article <1990Nov14.140421@Pkg.Mcc.COM> steve@Pkg.Mcc.COM (Steve Madere) writes:

| Does anyone know where I can find this port of RCS to msdos?
| If it is not yet available, is there any timetable for it's release?

  Posted some months ago to c.b.i.p, starting with v07i144.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX