[comp.os.msdos.programmer] Second Largest Software Co?

so@brownie.cs.wisc.edu (Bryan S. So) (11/22/90)

In article <1990Nov13.192526.19619@oracle.com> etileniu@oracle.uucp (Eric Tilenius) writes:

>Oracle's Office Automation division is the fastest-growing segment
>of Oracle Corporation, the world's third largest software company.

I am sorry, can't resist to ask which is the second-largest
software company.

Bryan

jeras@oracle.oracle.com (John Eras) (11/22/90)

In article <11775@spool.cs.wisc.edu> so@brownie.cs.wisc.edu (Bryan S. So) writes:
>In article <1990Nov13.192526.19619@oracle.com> etileniu@oracle.uucp (Eric Tilenius) writes:
>>Oracle's Office Automation division is the fastest-growing segment
>>of Oracle Corporation, the world's third largest software company.
>
>I am sorry, can't resist to ask which is the second-largest
>software company.

Computer Associates.  Ever heard of 'em?  Nah, I didn't think so.

----------------------- (: smile! you're on usenet! :) ------------------------
AT:    jeras@oracle.com                              | "It's a terrible waste
BANG:  ...{pacbell,hplabs,apple,decwrl}!oracle!jeras | to lose one's .sig, or
FLAME: /dev/null (nyuk, nyuk)                        | not to have one at all."

nfs@cs.Princeton.EDU (Norbert Schlenker) (11/22/90)

In article <1990Nov22.005834.16085@oracle.com> jeras@oracle.com (John Eras) writes:
>In article <11775@spool.cs.wisc.edu> so@brownie.cs.wisc.edu (Bryan S. So) writes:
>>I am sorry, can't resist to ask which is the second-largest software company.
>
>Computer Associates.  Ever heard of 'em?  Nah, I didn't think so.

Sure I've heard of 'em.

They have triple Oracle's revenues and just as much trouble selling
software, don't they?  Haven't they also just had some unpleasant
earnings surprises, just like Oracle?

Norbert

deen@kinks.rutgers.edu (Cinnamon Raisin) (11/25/90)

In article <1990Nov13.192526.19619@oracle.com> etileniu@oracle.uucp (Eric Tilenius) writes:

>>Oracle's Office Automation division is the fastest-growing segment
>>of Oracle Corporation, the world's third largest software company.
>
>I am sorry, can't resist to ask which is the second-largest
>software company.

	In reading some Merrill Lynch literature recently, they claim
		to employ about as many programmers as Microsoft does.

	If it's true, I think that would put them in the #2 or 3
		position, at least as far as PC software houses go.

						...LATER...

						-Z Raisin
--
---