[comp.os.msdos.programmer] Modems and baud rate divisors

standish@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Dreamwalker) (12/02/90)

Could someone tell me what the baud rate divisors are for a modem?
I'm having no luck in trying to hack them out from trial and error.
Basically, I am writing a terminal emulator, and need to know what
the divisor words are for the baud rate generator, where the low and
high bytes are writen into ports 03F8h and 03F9h, respectiely.  All
I have is that 300 baud is 384, and operating at 300 baud these days
is torment for any normal hacker.

Any help will be much appreciated.

				Dreamwalker

hughes@locusts.Berkeley.EDU (Eric Hughes) (12/02/90)

In article <2128@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> standish@mentor.cc.purdue.edu
(Dreamwalker) writes:
>Could someone tell me what the baud rate divisors are for a modem?

You are really programming the serial port chip, not the modem.

>All I have is that 300 baud is 384, ...

A baud rate divisor takes an external clock and divides it down to
get lower frequencies.

Thus if 300 bps corresponds to 384, then 1200 bps corresponds to
384/4 = 96, 2400 bps --> 48, 9600 bps --> 24, and 115200 bps --> 1.

This is where that 115 Kbps figure for fast serial port connections
from PC to PC comes from.

Eric Hughes
hughes@ocf.berkeley.edu

everett@hpcvra.cv.hp.com.CV.HP.COM (Everett Kaser) (12/04/90)

According to my notes, you're right that the baud rate divisor for 300 baud
is 384.  My understanding is that in order to double the baud rate, you simply
halve the baud rate divisor.  Hence:
    BAUD    DIVISOR
      75     1536
     150      768
     300      384
     600      192
    1200       96
    2400       48
    4800       24
    9600       12
   19200        6
   38400        3
   57600        2
  115200        1
Best of luck.

Everett Kaser                   Hewlett-Packard Company
...hplabs!hp-pcd!everett        work: (503) 750-3569   Corvallis, Oregon
everett%hpcvra@hplabs.hp.com    home: (503) 928-5259   Albany, Oregon

dougs@videovax.tv.tek.com (Doug Stevens) (12/05/90)

In article <31600010@hpcvra.cv.hp.com.CV.HP.COM>, everett@hpcvra.cv.hp.com.CV.HP.COM (Everett Kaser) writes:
> My understanding is that in order to double the baud rate, you simply
> halve the baud rate divisor.  Hence:
>     BAUD    DIVISOR
>     115200        1

Some manufacturers do not guarantee their parts to operate with a divisor
of 1. National Semiconductors does not list it as an option (although,
in practice, it does work).