[comp.os.msdos.programmer] Programming the PC's DMA controller

kburrows@sumax.UUCP (Kevin Burrows) (12/05/90)

We are attempting to program an IBM-PC I/O board that is capable
of using Direct Memory Access (DMA) to the PC's memory.  The board's
instruction manual indicates how to program the board but not the
PC's DMA controller.  Does anyone know of a good source of information
on this topic?

Any suggestions are happily accepted.

Thanks,

Kevin

lsalomo@hubcap.clemson.edu (lsalomo) (12/05/90)

From article <1681@sumax.UUCP>, by kburrows@sumax.UUCP (Kevin Burrows):
> We are attempting to program an IBM-PC I/O board that is capable
> of using Direct Memory Access (DMA) to the PC's memory.  The board's
> instruction manual indicates how to program the board but not the
> PC's DMA controller.  Does anyone know of a good source of information
> on this topic?

Consult the tech ref of the manufacturer of the DMA chip (usually Intel)

Cheers,
Q - the "Q"uestor for knowledge (, a degree, etc.)

lsalomo@hubcap.clemson.edu
ibmman@clemson.clemson.edu
"Gee Wally, I think there's something wrong with the Beaver."

tris@alzabo.uucp (Tris Orendorff) (12/07/90)

kburrows@sumax.UUCP (Kevin Burrows) writes:

>We are attempting to program an IBM-PC I/O board that is capable
>of using Direct Memory Access (DMA) to the PC's memory.  The board's
>instruction manual indicates how to program the board but not the
>PC's DMA controller.  Does anyone know of a good source of information
>on this topic?

Check out the book, Programmer's Problem Solver for the IBM PC, XT & AT.
by Robert Jourdain,
1986.
ISBN 0-89303-787-7

--
				Sincerely Yours
				Tris Orendorff

 LADY BRACKNELL:  He seems to have had great confidence in the opinion
                 of his physicians.