[comp.os.msdos.programmer] serial I/O in comm programs

ahahn@eagle.wesleyan.edu (12/08/90)

 Anyone know the method usually used by communication programs for serial i/o?
 I know it can be done using either int 14h or with the in/out commands, but
which is more practical, reasonable, or common?
 AdvanceThanx....AHAHN@eagle.wesleyan.bitnet

hd7x@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Sanjay Aiyagari) (12/09/90)

In article <1990Dec8.005829.36572@eagle.wesleyan.edu>,
ahahn@eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:

> Anyone know the method usually used by communication programs for serial i/o?
> I know it can be done using either int 14h or with the in/out commands, but
> which is more practical, reasonable, or common?

It is more common to use the IN/OUT commands, because they allow more control.
In addition, you must use these commands if you are to do input, because you
have to write your own interrupt procedure (the BIOS INT 14h is not fast enough
to perform input faster than 1200 bps without losing characters).
Sanjay Aiyagari (hd7x@vax5.cit.cornell.edu)