[net.followup] Berkeley housing info wanted

rh@mit-eddi.UUCP (Randy Haskins) (06/24/83)

There was a notice looking for housing on net.singles also.
I was wondering if maybe a net.nhousing (new housing) would
be in order for people who are relocating.  The only problem
I could forsee is that it may not be read by a very large
number of people.  Well, what do we think?
			--Randy
			rh@mit-eddie

mark@cbosgd.UUCP (06/25/83)

If you ever log in at Berkeley and read msgs, you'll find that
nearly half the messages are of the form "I need a place to live".
Every once in a while you see "house to sublet for summer costing
$1000/month".  I don't know if these people get any replies, but
I know people with apartments to rent don't have any trouble finding
tenents.  The vacancy rate in Berkeley is always under 1%.

If you are looking for housing for next fall at UCB, I urge you to
go out there NOW and find some.  September will be too late, and
you'll wind up scrambling with large numbers of other people.  The
housing office keeps listings, but you have to show up in person
and present proof you're a student or will be to look at them.
The listings from any given morning are often all gone by noon.

If you happen to be married, apply in April for married student housing.
It's a good deal (or was before they started raising the rents to
subsidize the new single student dorms) but has a long waiting list.
If you apply now I don't know if you'll get to the front of the list
by fall.

As to a newsgroup, there is already a ucb.housing, but this doesn't
help new people trying to get out there.  I doubt the rest of the net
would be as interested, since other campuses aren't nearly as hard to
find housing.  Of course, if I'm wrong and there is interest, great.

I wonder if some impoverished student at Berkeley wants to make a few
bucks and do some local legwork for people who can't go out there?

	Mark Horton

hal@cornell.UUCP (06/25/83)

Why on earth should we create a new newsgroup every time somebody writes
a message on a new topic?  If it turns out that there are a lot of housing
wanted messages and they persist for a long time, then by all means, let's
create a new newsgroup.  But the attitude that we need a new newsgroup
before we can discuss a new topic is counterproductive.  I think it is
one of the reasons that there are so many low-traffic newsgroups.  Somebody
says we need a "net.rec.clams" newsgroup to discuss sea shells or beaches,
there's three dozen messages in net.news or wherever debating whether this
is a good idea, the group is finally created and a few messages appear.
And then it just dies away.

I think a much better way to proceed would be to direct messages on a
new topic to the most appropriate group (perhaps net.misc).  If the traffic
on a new topic continues at a significent level for a reasonable amount of
time, then consider shuffling it off into a new newsgroup.  But let's stop
this nonsense of proposing a new newsgroup every time somebody thinks of a
new topic.

Hal Perkins                         uucp:  {decvax|vax135|...}!cornell!hal
Cornell Computer Science            arpa:  hal@cornell
                                  bitnet:  hal@crnlcs

rlh@mit-eddi.UUCP (Roger L. Hale) (06/27/83)

Altogether too many people had to read the first message.
Any local subnets that care can set up <local>.[whatever].

tower@inmet.UUCP (06/27/83)

#R:mit-eddi:-29200:inmet:4000004:000:391
inmet!tower    Jun 26 10:15:00 1983

net.wanted should serve for this purpose.
I don't even see the need for net.want.housing.

Keeping the number of news topics down maximizes
the number of people who read each topic.

I also have a feeling that many housing requests come
from people who are very causal net users, and will
put their request into the first topic that seems
right.

-len tower  harpo!inmet!tower Cambridge, MA

govern@houxf.UUCP (06/28/83)

When I went to Berkeley, I went out in August to find a place.  The
basic impression I got was that the quality/price of housing
available doesn't change much from June - August, but you have to
look farther away as time slips.  I ended up paying $25 to
Homefinders (cost depends on your price range), and getting a decent
apartment that was only advertised through them.  At least in
Berkeley, they seem to provide good service; here in NJ they're
mostly a ripoff.   If you're interested in sharing a room, there is
some sort of roommate-finding service around; I've forgotten its
name.

jdd@allegra.UUCP (06/28/83)

	From inmet!tower Mon Jun 20 22:18:39 1983
	Subject: Re: Re: Berkeley housing info wanted - (nf) (inmet.120)
	Newsgroups: net.followup

	Keeping the number of news topics down maximizes
	the number of people who read each topic.

Well, maybe.  It sure increases the amount of cruft that any one person has
to wade through!  And while it might be nice to have a few groups that lots
and lots of people read (hey, that was the reasoning that lead to posting to
net.general!), I'd suggest that having more specific newsgroups is to the
greater advantage of the Usenet community.

Cheers,
John ("Let's Have Exponential Newsgrup Growth") DeTreville
Bell Labs, Murray Hill

jdd@allegra.UUCP (06/28/83)

	From mit-eddi!rlh Sun Jun 26 13:35:16 1983
	Subject: Re: Berkeley housing info wanted (mit-eddi.329)
	Newsgroups: net.followup,net.college

	Date: Sun, 26-Jun-83 23:55:16 EDT
	Altogether too many people had to read the first message.
	Any local subnets that care can set up <local>.[whatever].

Ah, but the poor luser wasn't \in/ the geographic area being posted to!

Scenario: I need some picture postcards from Wyoming.  These are hard to
find in New York City.  I decide to ask on netnews.  Maybe there's a wy.all
subnet?  I have no way of knowing.  If I found out there were, is there a
wy.wanted, or have they named it differently?  Even if there were a
wy.wanted, I would have no way to post to it from New Jersey.  So I wimp out
and use net.wanted.

Moral: Geographic subgroups are nice not not very general.

Cheers,
John ("In At Most One Place At Any One Time") DeTreville
Bell Labs, Murray Hill