[comp.os.msdos.programmer] Hardware/Software interfacing info

noel@mel.cipl.uiowa.edu (11/22/90)

I've finally talked my boss into replacing our DG Nova minicomputer with a
microcomputer.  We can buy two 386's a year just from what we'll
save on maintenance. We currently use the minicomputer for realtime
data acquisition in a muscle physiology lab.

So now, I need a list of the best reference materials on hardware design and
interfacing for IBM PCs/compatibles.  Books/articles or tips are appreciated.

Any one similar experiences please feel free to contact me via email.

Thanks.

Mike Noel

noel@mel.cipl.uiowa.edu

pipkinsj@cpqhou.uucp (Jeff Pipkins @Adv Dev@SE hou ) (12/16/90)

In article <1990Nov21.141733.1@mel.cipl.uiowa.edu> noel@mel.cipl.uiowa.edu writes:
>I've finally talked my boss into replacing our DG Nova minicomputer with a
>microcomputer.  We can buy two 386's a year just from what we'll
>save on maintenance. We currently use the minicomputer for
>realtime data acquisition in a muscle physiology lab.
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>So now, I need a list of the best reference materials on hardware design and
>interfacing for IBM PCs/compatibles.  Books/articles or tips are appreciated.
>
>Any one similar experiences please feel free to contact me via email.
>
>Thanks.
>Mike Noel
>noel@mel.cipl.uiowa.edu

Check out these articles:
"Real-Time Data Acquisition Using DMA", Tom Nolan, Dr. Dobb's Journal, Jan '90
"Demystifying PID Control", Sarns & Woehr, Embedded Sys. Prog., Aug '90

You will also want to get the Intel data sheets for the 8237 DMA chip, the
8259 interrupt controller, and the 8253 programmable timer chip.
You can order them via phone 800/548-4725, ask for literature order number
230843, it's a two-volume set called "Microprocessor and Peripheral Handbook"

This should get you started.
Good luck!

--
Jeff D. Pipkins (uunet!cpqhou!pipkinsj)

My disclaimer: My opinions do not necessarily reflect those of my employer.
Papaw's disclaimer: I've already told you more than I know.