[comp.os.msdos.programmer] Lotus 1-2-3 File Format

unhd (Jonathan W Miner) (12/15/90)

I am writing a C application that needs to create a LOTUS 1-2-3 file.
Currently, I create an ASCII file and import to Lotus, but I'ld like
to create the file directly.  It will be numeric data, real numbers.
What is the file format?

Jonathan Miner        | I don't speak for UNH, and UNH does not
jwm775@unhd.unh.edu   | speak for me!
(603)868-3416         | !! EMAIL until 15-Dec-90 !!

medici@dorm.rutgers.edu (Mark Medici) (12/18/90)

jwm775@uunet!unhd (Jonathan W Miner) writes:

>I am writing a C application that needs to create a LOTUS 1-2-3 file.
>Currently, I create an ASCII file and import to Lotus, but I'ld like
>to create the file directly.  It will be numeric data, real numbers.
>What is the file format?

Wiley Press (605 Third Avenue, NY, NY 10158) publishes several books
on file formats for PC software by author Jeff Walden.  I have the
1986 printing of "File Formats for Popular PC Software" that includes
1-2-3 1.x and 2.0.  I would expect that a more recent version would
cover 2.2 and higher.

Lotus uses a complex format that is not easily explained.  The above
book, or one like it, will be your best reference.

john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) (12/19/90)

In article <1990Dec15.003135.5561@uunet!unhd> jwm775@unhd.unh.edu (Jonathan W Miner) writes:
> I am writing a C application that needs to create a LOTUS 1-2-3 file.
> What is the file format?

Check your library or bookstore for a book called "File Formats For Popular
PC Software".  In general, file formats are not published by vendors, so
this info is usually hard to find.  Another source is a set of programmers
libraries for the PC called "WKS Tools".  This allows you to read and write
123 files simply by linking to a set of pre-compiled routines.

-john-

John A. Weeks III               (612) 942-6969               john@newave.mn.org
NeWave Communications                 ...uunet!rosevax!tcnet!wd0gol!newave!john