[comp.os.msdos.programmer] Publishing Software

VOLKEMA@auvm.auvm.edu (12/20/90)

A publishing company that specializes in training and development materials
(mainly books and workbooks) is interested in marketing and distributing my
software (my only product).  What kind of arrangement is typical for software?
That is, who handles the packaging?  Who pays for and provides technical
support?  What is the standard royalty on gross sales?  Are companies generally
given exclusive rights?  Over what period of time are these rights given?
Where can I learn more about my opportunities, obligations and rights?  Thanks.

spolsky-joel@cs.yale.edu (Joel Spolsky) (12/23/90)

In article <90353.135558VOLKEMA@auvm.auvm.edu> VOLKEMA@auvm.auvm.edu writes:
>A publishing company that specializes in training and development materials
>(mainly books and workbooks) is interested in marketing and distributing my
>software (my only product).  What kind of arrangement is typical for software?
>That is, who handles the packaging?  Who pays for and provides technical
>support?  What is the standard royalty on gross sales?  Are companies generally
>given exclusive rights?  Over what period of time are these rights given?
>Where can I learn more about my opportunities, obligations and rights?  Thanks.

May I suggest:

	How to Copyyright Software
	M.J. Salone

and
	Legal Care for your Software
	Daniel Remer & Stephen Elias

Both from Nolo Press, 950 Parker St., Berkeley, CA 94710
(415) 549-1976.

Make sure you get the most up-to-date edition; Nolo Press reissues
these frequently to keep abreast of the law. Most good bookstores
should have these or be able to order them, or you can order from Nolo
Press on (800) 992-6656.

I highly recommend these books if you want to understand the laws
governing software before you get into a contract...

Joel Spolsky          // And these streets, Quiet as a sleeping army
spolsky@cs.yale.edu   // Send their battered dreams to heaven.   _Paul Simon