[comp.os.msdos.programmer] > Turbo C and bit map format

kcwong@ssd.kodak.com (K.C. Wong (253-7926)) (01/08/91)

In article <6699@wolfen.cc.uow.oz> mai@wolfen.cc.uow.oz (Van Dao Mai) writes:
>Thanks for the suggestions, I have found it out that the format of
>the bitmap generated by Turbo C is dead simple. The first two words
>are <width><height> then the raster itself row by row.
>But there is a catch here. The size required for the image returned
>by imagesize() is not what we expect, it is always greater than
>the real size (Don't know why) and the routine putimage() always

I found that out too...

>put an extra row onto the screen that causes all the garbage trailing
>the array to come out. To avoid this the array should be cleared to
>the value of the background color before used for holding raster.

Are you sure those bytes aren't significant? Maybe the bitmap row are
padded to some multiples? Would someone familiar with BGI please
post the structure for the "void* _bitmap" in getimage() and putimage()?
Is the structure the same for all graphics adapter?
I would like to emulate Zortech's fg_drawimage() with putimage(), for
doing animation.

>I am building a sophisticated GIF viewer. One of the feature is to
>work well within 640 K conventional memory of the PC. This is done
>intensive buffering of data using disk space. This helps the program
>to process many GIF files at the same time. The program is getting
>quite substantial and I still have 380K memory left to abuse! If any
>of you are new commer to the C world, you might like to have the
>code for this disk swapping module (about 90 lines only). It is
>fairly fast especially if you install a RAM disk and work in it.
>This will utilise the memory of your PC without having to bother
>with EMS. Let me know if anybody want it.

I would like to have the code. Please post 'cos I can't email to you.

>It is great to be with the whole world!
>
>mai@wolfen.cc.uow.edu
>Australia

K.C.Wong