[comp.os.msdos.programmer] TurboC 2.0 & TurboC++: Speed and Debugger

kroe@sbcs.sunysb.edu (KiYun Roe) (01/09/91)

Could anyone please tell me if there is any difference in compilation
speed between TurboC 2.0 and TurboC++ when compiling C code using the
command-line versions of the compilers?  I'm thinking of upgrading from
TurboC Pro to TurboC++ Pro, but I only have an XT level system.  I
don't want the make process to become appreciably slower.

While I'm at it, is there any significant difference between TD 1.0 and
TD 2.0 other than reverse execution?  Does TD 2.0 continue to work well
from the keyboard without a mouse?

Thanks.

--
KiYun Roe					kroe@sbcs.sunysb.edu
Department of Computer Science

rschmidt@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (roy schmidt) (01/10/91)

In article <1991Jan9.131031.21220@sbcs.sunysb.edu> kroe@sbcs.sunysb.edu (KiYun Roe) writes:

>While I'm at it, is there any significant difference between TD 1.0 and
>TD 2.0 other than reverse execution?  Does TD 2.0 continue to work well
>from the keyboard without a mouse?

    TD 2.0 works fine with and without the mouse.  It has a much
improved, context-sensitive menu system, so you don't need to plow
through so many menus to get what you want.  In some cases you can begin
typing input, and TD will automatically open the input window you need!

Of course, TD 2.0 is also smart for OOP, so you can debug TC++ and more
recent TPascal programs using objects, classes, etc.

Finally, TD 2.0 supports debugging TSRs and device drivers (!).

I didn't do a runoff between the two compilers (TC 2.0 and TC++) for
compilation speed.  IMHO, I think this would splitting hairs.  The more
important points are adherence to ANSI C, library support, and code
optimization.  Saving even one minute in compile time is just not heart-
stirring for me :-).

Roy Schmidt                 |  #include <disclaimer.h>
Indiana University          |  /* They are _my_ thoughts, and you can't
Graduate School of Business |     have them, so there!  */

ho@hoss.unl.edu (Tiny Bubbles...) (01/10/91)

In <1991Jan9.131031.21220@sbcs.sunysb.edu> kroe@sbcs.sunysb.edu (KiYun Roe) writes:

>speed between TurboC 2.0 and TurboC++ when compiling C code using the
>command-line versions of the compilers?  I'm thinking of upgrading from
>TurboC Pro to TurboC++ Pro, but I only have an XT level system.  I

I want to know, too.

My main reason is this:  there was some patch info for TC++ 1.01 that
was circulating earlier -- I believe it was a Borland "patch list" for
the bug-fix release -- which alluded to "improving performance on 286
systems."

That sounds pretty scary for us.  If they're trying to make it bearable
on a *286*, imagine how it would feel on our humble XT's...
--
        ... Michael Ho, University of Nebraska
Internet: ho@hoss.unl.edu | "Mine... is the last voice that you will ever hear."

jwbirdsa@amc-gw.amc.com (James Birdsall) (01/10/91)

In article <1991Jan9.131031.21220@sbcs.sunysb.edu> kroe@sbcs.sunysb.edu (KiYun Roe) writes:
>While I'm at it, is there any significant difference between TD 1.0 and
>TD 2.0 other than reverse execution?  Does TD 2.0 continue to work well
>from the keyboard without a mouse?

   TD 2.0 has suffered the same Mac-ification process that produced the
TC++ IDE, etc. It is now crawling with dialog boxes, radio buttons, etc.
Execution speed is substantially slower, but still adequate (even on my
4.77 MHz XT). On the other hand, a full keyboard interface is
supported and works fine once you get the hang of it, and some of the
history lists in the dialog boxes are quite useful. I use mine with mouse
support turned off, and have had no troubles.
   Reverse execution is not a panacea. If you step over a function call and
find your variables munged on the other side, it is unlikely that you will
be able to back up -- I have never found a function for which this was
possible. It is usually only possible to back up over "simple" statements,
such as assignments, arithmetic, etc. This is because more complicated
things, such as input or output, are not reversible. So most of the
processes complicated enough to be interesting aren't reversible. On the
other hand, it allowed me to step back and forth over a series of "simple"
statements until I figured out why a variable on the far side of the
universe was suddenly changing...

--
James W. Birdsall   WORK: jwbirdsa@amc.com   {uunet,uw-coco}!amc-gw!jwbirdsa
HOME: {uunet,uw-coco}!amc-gw!picarefy!jwbirdsa OTHER: 71261.1731@compuserve.com