[comp.os.msdos.programmer] Assembly language primers wanted

kgowen@cie.uoregon.edu (Kevin Gowen) (01/24/91)

I am trying to teach myself 8086/88 assembly language so I can augment my
C programming.  Can anyone recommend books that assumes you know *nothing*
about 8086/88 assembler and takes you through the basics?

Thanks.

-kevin
kgowen@cie.uoregon.edu

emmonsl@athena.ecs.csus.edu (L. Scott Emmons) (01/24/91)

In article <1991Jan23.184840.7737@ariel.unm.edu> kgowen@cie.uoregon.edu (Kevin Gowen) writes:
>I am trying to teach myself 8086/88 assembly language so I can augment my
>C programming.  Can anyone recommend books that assumes you know *nothing*
>about 8086/88 assembler and takes you through the basics?

Try "Assembly Language Primer for the IBM PC & XT".  by: Robert Lafore.
pub: The Waite Group, 1984.  $24.95 list (I paid 22.99 at 'Egghead
Software', if you happen to have one nearby).  I started with this book when
I began 8088 assembly language, having 6502 experience, a few years back.
I recommend it, but only with another reference, such as:
"Programming the 8086/8088". by: James W. Coffron. pub: Sybex Books, 1983.
$16.95 list.  This book (and many others) give full descriptions of such
things as the instruction set which the primer doesn't cover in the same way.
Also, It's a good idea to have a Programmer's Reference Manual for looking
up BIOS calls and the like.

Good luck!

			L. Scott Emmons
			---------------
	emmons@csus.csus.edu  <or>  ...[ucbvax]!ucdavis!csus!emmons
		Packet: kc6nfp@kg6xx.#nocal.ca.usa.na

data@buhub (Mark Hall) (01/24/91)

kgowen@cie.uoregon.edu (Kevin Gowen) writes:

>I am trying to teach myself 8086/88 assembly language so I can augment my
>C programming.  Can anyone recommend books that assumes you know *nothing*
>about 8086/88 assembler and takes you through the basics?

I picked up "Peter Norton's Assembly Language Book for the IBM PC (Software
Version)" from Waldenbooks for around $40.00 or so.  You'll need a copy of
Microsoft Assembler (or suitable program) to finish.  I found it useful.

I also use his programmer's guide to the IBM PC & PS/2.  It's not good as a
tutorial though like the first one...
--
| Internet: data@{bucs1,buhub}.bradley.edu, al632@cleveland.freenet.edu       |
| "He sees you when you're sleeping, he knows when you're awake, but Captain, |

baldwin@usna.NAVY.MIL (J.D. Baldwin) (01/25/91)

kgowen@cie.uoregon.edu (Kevin Gowen) writes:
>I am trying to teach myself 8086/88 assembly language so I can augment my
>C programming.  Can anyone recommend books that assumes you know *nothing*
>about 8086/88 assembler and takes you through the basics?

Prentice-Hall sent me a new book to preview last semester, and our department
liked it so much, we changed our order at the last minute to get this book
for our introductory assembler course.

The book is "IBM PC ASSEMBLY LANGUAGE AND PROGRAMMING," 2d edition, by Peter
Abel, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632.  Combine this book with
the PC Sourcebook from Microsoft Press, and you've got everything you need
to write just about anything.

Prentice-Hall also has a book on advance PC assembler programming, called
"ASSEMBLY LANGUAGE TOOLS AND TECHNIQUES FOR THE IBM MICROCOMPUTERS," by
Julio Sanchez.  Also quite a good book, with a pretty good section on
graphics.

I have no relationship with either of these authors or Prentice-Hall, besides
the fact that P-H occasionally sends me books to preview, for which I am
grateful.
--
 From the catapult of:              |+| "If anyone disagrees with anything I
   _, J. D. Baldwin, Comp Sci Dept  |+| say, I am quite prepared not only to

glratt@uncle-bens.rice.edu (Glenn Forbes Larratt) (01/25/91)

In article <1991Jan23.184840.7737@ariel.unm.edu> kgowen@cie.uoregon.edu (Kevin Gowen) writes:
>I am trying to teach myself 8086/88 assembly language so I can augment my
>C programming.  Can anyone recommend books that assumes you know *nothing*
>about 8086/88 assembler and takes you through the basics?

An oldie but a goodie is "The 8086 Book", by Russell Rector and Goerge Alexy,
(c) 1980 Mcgraw-Hill.

It actually predates the IBM PC, and thus has no information on its
architecture etc., but it's a very good introductory and reference book on
the 8086/8088.

--
	Glenn Larratt			glratt@uncle-bens.rice.edu
	Computing Resource Center	OCIS, Rice University, Houston, Texas

data@buhub (Mark Hall) (01/28/91)

In <1991Jan27.183138.8352@ariel.unm.edu> kgowen@cie.uoregon.edu (Kevin Gowen)
writes:

> Many thanks to you, and to the 10 or so others who responded, some by e-mail.
> Curiously, the 10 responders gave me 10 different choices!  I guess there's
> a lesson to be learned by this, but I'm not sure what...    :)

Are you trying to say we're indecisive??? =-)