[comp.os.msdos.programmer] Zortech 2.0 vs Turbo C++

randall@Virginia.EDU (Ran Atkinson) (01/24/91)

For those following the discussions about ZC++ and TC++ I need to make
a note of clarification.

Offline e-mail discussions with some other posters indicated that the
problems they were having with large projects involved situations where
they had full debug information turned on in each and every module of
the entire project.

My postings about not having seen any such problem with a large project
are accurate in so far as they go, but I never have full debug info
turned on for each and every module at any one time.  I have some modules
with full debug info turned on and others (most) with debug info turned
off (which modules are turned on depends on what I'm trying to debug
and varies from time to time).

If you have problems with TC++ and a large project, you probably do not
want to have full debug information for each and every module turned on
at the same time.  This strikes me as a reasonable workaround, but if
ZC++ _can_ handle everything in full debug at once (as I'm told --
I haven't tried that yet because it slows down the debugger) then this
might be a reason to prefer ZC++ to TC++.

I have no affiliation with either Borland or Zortech other than as an
ordinary customer and user.

Ran Atkinson
randall@Virginia.EDU

karel@prisma.cv.ruu.nl (Karel Zuiderveld) (01/24/91)

I am using the Guidelines C++ translator 2.0, Turbo C++ professional 1.00 and
Zortech developers edition 2.17 (beta).

The translator is used to ensure that the code which I am writing is portable
to Unix systems (since it's using the AT&T translator). It is *very* slow and
can not be used in a Windows environment (protected mode).

Turbo C++ is a splendid programming environment to work in. Version
1.00 contains several minor bugs; I wasn't able to get my hands on
1.01 which is supposed to fix several of them.

Zortech C++ has the fastest compiler; I couldn't discover a bug yet in the
2.17 release. It has one *major* disadvantage: it doesn't support AT&T 2.0
iostreams. They say they are working on it, but the last 6 months nothing
exciting has happened :-(.

Since I am working on both PC and Unix systems, the only practical choice
right now is Turbo C++. I think Zortech is currently the better compiler,
but it's a drag I can't use it.

Karel
--
Karel Zuiderveld                            E-mail: karel@cv.ruu.nl
3D Computer Vision - Room E.02.222          Tel:    (31-30) 506682/507772

waynet@kit.CNA.TEK.COM (Wayne Turner) (01/24/91)

In article <1991Jan23.182953.588@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> Ran Atkinson <randall@Virginia.EDU> writes:
>For those following the discussions about ZC++ and TC++ I need to make
>a note of clarification.
>
>If you have problems with TC++ and a large project, you probably do not
>want to have full debug information for each and every module turned on
>at the same time.  This strikes me as a reasonable workaround, but if
>ZC++ _can_ handle everything in full debug at once (as I'm told --
>I haven't tried that yet because it slows down the debugger) then this
>might be a reason to prefer ZC++ to TC++.

I am working on a project that links in 70 OBJS, all with compiled
with debug info.  Total lines of source code is about 6000.  Load
image size about 270K.  Version 2.10 of Zortech debugger (zdb286) routinely
crashed when all modules contained debug info but version 2.10C
has worked OK so far.

>I have no affiliation with either Borland or Zortech other than as an
>ordinary customer and user.

Likewise for me.
Wayne Turner
Tektronix, Inc.
Redmond, Oregon
waynet@kit.CNA.TEK.COM

tjr@cbnewsc.att.com (thomas.j.roberts) (01/26/91)

From article <6901@tekred.CNA.TEK.COM>, by waynet@kit.CNA.TEK.COM (Wayne Turner):

> I am working on a project that links in 70 OBJS, all with compiled
> with debug info.  Total lines of source code is about 6000.  Load
> image size about 270K.  Version 2.10 of Zortech debugger (zdb286) routinely
> crashed when all modules contained debug info but version 2.10C
> has worked OK so far.

I have a program with 12 .cpp files, about 6000 lines of C++, and a
.exe file size of 317kb. TC++ 1.01 compiles and links them all, with
debugging enabled. I have had NO PROBLEMS with TC++ 1.01 at all,
except for its dastardly way of never releasing its EMS segment
when it exits (but I have a workaround using an EMS tool).

Note that TC++ grinds to a slow crawl if you don't have EMS or XMS
(1Mb or more). I use it on both an old PC6300 (8MHz 8086, 640 kb +
2Mb EMS) and a 6386/SX (16 MHz 80386SX, 640k RAM + 1Mb XMS).

I am a satisfied user of TC++ 1.01, but sure wish they would come
out with a Windows 3.0 developer's toolkit.

Tom Roberts
att!ihlpl!tjrob  TJROB@IHLPL.ATT.COM

fritsf@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (F.H.J. Feldbrugge) (01/28/91)

In <1991Jan25.173040.24088@cbnewsc.att.com> tjr@cbnewsc.att.com (thomas.j.roberts) writes:

> ... stuff deleted ...

>I am a satisfied user of TC++ 1.01, but sure wish they would come
>out with a Windows 3.0 developer's toolkit.

I have read an announcement of such a Borland product.
Can't remember the magazine (somewhere in 4Q90).
It was told to be "under beta test and expected to be
available early 1991".

|  Frits Feldbrugge  |  Internet:	fritsf@idca.tds.philips.nl |
|  Philips TDS       |  UUCP:		.....!mcvax!philapd!fritsf |