[comp.os.msdos.programmer] performance of XMS vs EMS

jfjr@mbunix.mitre.org (Freedman) (01/30/91)

  To all who have replied, thanks and my apologies for not being clear.
I aware that I have extended memory and I have books/manuals on both.
Here is my question rephrased and detailed.

   I have a Compaq 386/20e running DOS 3.3 with 4 megs of memory.
I have the Clarkson packet drivers installed and I am building
a TCP/IP analysis tool. One of the things I would like to do
is to sit on the net and just receive and record all packets
(time stamp them) for a while. I can receive and I have
a millisecond timer (thanks for the help folks). The packets
can come at me fast - up to 1.5k a packet with 2-3 millisecond
separation-. My receiver runs at interrupt level as does my timer.
Both EMS and XMS involve some fiddling around at interrupt level.
I am concerned about stepping on my own feet with either approach.
I am not concerned with portability or price. Just performance.
full protected mode might be nice but I have to support the
packet drivers too. I can get more memory or fancier hardware
if I really need it(I think;) ).

  So what is the best choice EMS with its timeconsuming paging,
XMS with switching back and forth from protected mode?.
Anybody got advice.

                                 Jerry Freedman,Jr

jfjr@mbunix.mitre.org (Freedman) (01/31/91)

In article <1991Jan30.140553.22478@linus.mitre.org> jfjr@mbunix.mitre.org (Freedman) writes:

>   I have a Compaq 386/20e running DOS 3.3 with 4 megs of memory.
>I have the Clarkson packet drivers installed and I am building
>a TCP/IP analysis tool. One of the things I would like to do
>is to sit on the net and just receive and record all packets
>(time stamp them) for a while. I can receive and I have
>a millisecond timer (thanks for the help folks). The packets
>can come at me fast - up to 1.5k a packet with 2-3 millisecond
>separation-. My receiver runs at interrupt level as does my timer.
>Both EMS and XMS involve some fiddling around at interrupt level.
>I am concerned about stepping on my own feet with either approach.
>I am not concerned with portability or price. Just performance.
>full protected mode might be nice but I have to support the
>packet drivers too. I can get more memory or fancier hardware
>if I really need it(I think;) ).

 As a follow up anybody got any product recommendations?

                              Jerry Freedman,Jr