[comp.os.msdos.programmer] DBaseIII Plus Programming Question

omer@sumax.seattleu.edu (Mohamed Amer) (01/29/91)

Is anyone familiar with programming in DBASE III Plus? I'm having
problems figuring out how to compile the command files. In addition,
also connecting the command files together. Any help or hints would
really be appreciated. Thank you.

broy@vaxa.weeg.uiowa.edu (Barbara Roy) (01/30/91)

In article <2195@sumax.seattleu.edu>, omer@sumax.seattleu.edu (Mohamed Amer) writes...
>Is anyone familiar with programming in DBASE III Plus? I'm having
>problems figuring out how to compile the command files. In addition,
>also connecting the command files together. Any help or hints would
>really be appreciated. Thank you.

There is no compiler included with Dbase III Plus. At present, there is not
even a true compiler for Dbase IV provided by Ashton-Tate. You'll need a
third-party product to compile the .prg files.

What exactly do you mean by "connecting the command files together"?

Barbara Roy, Weeg Computing Center, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA. 52242
Phone: 319-335-5506
Internet: broy@vaxa.weeg.uiowa.edu     Bitnet: broyva@uiamvs
Disclaimer: My opinions are solely my own and may change daily.

gibsonlp@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Dean A Herman) (01/30/91)

In article <4208@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> broy@vaxa.weeg.uiowa.edu writes:
>In article <2195@sumax.seattleu.edu>, omer@sumax.seattleu.edu (Mohamed Amer) writes...
>>Is anyone familiar with programming in DBASE III Plus? I'm having
>>problems figuring out how to compile the command files. In addition,
>>also connecting the command files together. Any help or hints would
>>really be appreciated. Thank you.
>
>There is no compiler included with Dbase III Plus. At present, there is not
>even a true compiler for Dbase IV provided by Ashton-Tate. You'll need a
>third-party product to compile the .prg files.
>
>What exactly do you mean by "connecting the command files together"?

I'd take the "connecting the command files together" to mean somthing
like the FoxBind utility I use in FoxPro. I can't understand the big
benefit of lumping many small program (or.. .FXP) files together, it
never seems to speed up the program or save space. Still, people like
it for some reason.

I always thought there were small third-party compilers made for dBase
III+, but I never found any, and just gave up and moved to another
xbase DBMS all together.

Dean Clean, DBMS Addict. Internet: gibsonlp@csd4.csd.uwm.edu

jgb1@ra.MsState.Edu (John G. Burrell) (01/31/91)

>I always thought there were small third-party compilers made for dBase
>III+, but I never found any, and just gave up and moved to another
>xbase DBMS all together.

>Dean Clean, DBMS Addict. Internet: gibsonlp@csd4.csd.uwm.edu

Ever heard of Clipper by Nantucket??  It is one of the best third party
compilers for dbase III/+ available.

Nantucket Corp.
12555 W. Jefferson Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90066