[comp.os.msdos.programmer] Text windows question in TC 2.0

barbourj@mozart.cs.colostate.edu (jim barbour) (02/03/91)

Hello netters,

I am interested in writing some Turbo C code which (in part) assigns stdout to
one text window and stderr as another.  I'm wondering if anyone has
implemented a text windowing package for turbo C which works off the idea that
each window is a psuedo terminal or device which can be fopen'ed.

Alternatively, if you have another way to accomplish this please let me know.

Thanks in advance,

Jim Barbour  (jwbarbour@clipr.colorado.edu)

cd5340@mars.njit.edu (Charlap) (02/04/91)

In article <12504@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> barbourj@mozart.cs.colostate.edu (jim barbour) writes:

>I am interested in writing some Turbo C code which (in part) assigns stdout to
>one text window and stderr as another.

Well, in Unix, you could always fork() a child process, and re-direct
stdout and stderr into them via a pipe.  Could this be done under MS-DOS?
Perhaps redirecting the DOS stdout and stderr devices into TSRs in memory,
or into parallel running Windows applications.

--- David Charlap (cd5340@mars.njit.edu)